Celeste is a brown haired woman with her hair up with a white hairband that ends in a red-violet ball and a longer bang of hair on her right side, and when letting her hair down, it reaches to just halfway the shoulder blades. She looks a bit more older than her own age, helping to her own image as older sister character while the most striking feature of Celeste is her prosthetic mechanical arm with three long fingers.
Her prosthetic arm has a little bit of reinforcement on top of the radius and ulna of her arm from where she can extend a hidden dagger to fight with, while using the reinforcement at the same time as a make-shift shield for close combat.
Without a doubt, Celeste has probably one of the most diverse personality that can be found without having a split personality. She appears to change from a wise doctor to that of an innocent maiden, back to that of a big sister, reverting to a female with the spirit and youthfulness of a young girl and the knowledge of a mature woman.
One of the more noticeable traits of Celeste is that she can be rather unpredictable, as it is rather difficult, if not impossible to discern her thoughts or motives at times. Despite her personality having different ways of revealing themselves, the one thing that has never changed in her is the philosophy’s that she lives her life by. While most may think them to be rather trivial, there is one that stands out the most, and serves as probably the most characteristic piece of who she is. Celeste her believe in the philosophy that the only thing that is actually worth risking one’s life is "one's legacy", a belief that was passed down by her rehabilitator. She believes that no matter what happens, so long as something of her exists that would be capable of defining some of her deeds or something that is capable of resembling her, she can never be truly defeated since she will be remembered for her deeds and hopefully also for who she was as a person. Perhaps an extension of this belief is derived from the promise that she had made in the past. She had promised to never allow her past to control her, living not only for herself, but also for those she lost the moment that she put the sentinel mask on her face.
In addition to Celeste's great trust in the power of one's legacy, she also has a rather deep understanding of the power of love. She possesses incredible insight on people, often knowing if they are troubled or hiding something.
Celeste seems to be proud of her own power, but unlike one would expect with that pride, she seemingly possesses no physical signs of arrogance or overconfidence. Celeste’s almost immature and free-spirited personality masks her sage-like and experienced attitude, revealing those parts of her when the situation demands it.
Celeste is prone to think several steps ahead when facing opponents and giving her a remarkable (almost annoying) talent for strategic fights that help her to defeat even opponents that have more brute power than what she has. However, while these traits do have a place in her real personality, much of her outward persona can perhaps be considered an intentional facade perfectly designed to cause those unfamiliar with her to underestimate her knowledge and ability. At the core, she is a remarkably devoted protector whose primary focus and personal duty is to her friends and family ( even if they most likely will never know of the protection she gave them). Though she hides it well behind a veil of kindness and helping, Celeste is still a young maiden at heart after all, despite how she may act at times...
Magic & Abilites
- Immense strength: As Celeste didn’t want to rely on just her mental fortitude, she used a part of her own magic source to suppress the chaos of her mask. What this also meant was that in response to that, she had to train her physical strength in order to make up for the lack of magical strength. By forcing herself every day to train with bags of rocks on the barbells for weightlifting, running with animals swimming against streams, climbing mountains and fighting against several animals her physical strength gradually grew to the point of lifting rocks four times the size of her self, and still throwing them with enough force to destroy a part of a castle wall through the sheer force of it with nothing but her physical strength.
- Monstrous Endurance & Stamina: Thanks to all the training Celeste has done, her stamina improved tremendously, which generally helps with how much she relies on the physical parts of a fight instead of the magical parts like most mages do. Where-as normal mages generally eschew the physical part in order to become stronger in the magical part, Celeste chose for the reversed path, improving her physical more. As she went down that route, she was turning into a physical monster with regards to how much she could output regarding the stamina and also regarding the amount of damage she can take before going down. As her stamina is greater by a great marge when compared to a normal mage, it allowed her to use more attacks and higher speeds without becoming tired or opening herself up for openings. While there are a few exceptions to that, it is mostly tied to her use of a partial transformation with Suzaku. What should be remembered however is that unlike most take-over users, she doesn’t get as exhausted or strained thanks to her previous trainings. One of the best examples for her stamina can be found in her match against Naoto where she managed to keep on fighting without getting visibly fatiqued.
- Immense Durability: Thanks to how she trained her body, Celeste's body gained an impressive durability. Whenever she used weights for her strength or endurance, her body would have to withstand the pressure that the weight would exert on her body after all, not to mention the pressure of waterfalls whenever she would sit in a waterfall. At the start, she would use a single carrying pole with the added weight of water and food for her durability training, she had to struggle at the beginning since she had to use her strength in a different manner as she previously trained with simply lifting weights, running, climbing and more. As she got stronger and more durable thanks to her slowly combining the different trainings, she added another carrying pole so that she would have one pole for each shoulder, allowing her more space for water and normal weight training. Noticing the bulk she started to build thanks to her weight training, she began to change the durability training a bit so that she would be more toned instead of bulky without losing out on the durability she trained for. An added benefit of her training (besides the increased bone density) in several climates during her travels was that she could withstand several temperature changes a lot easier so that she could fight just as well in a desert as in an arctic environment if you look at it purely from the temperatures.
- Impressive Speed: Probably as an example from her training to get stronger, Celeste posesses an impressive speed, capable of keeping up with many animals and vehicles as well as evading obstacles in different parcour settings. As she generally had to rely on her own strength and speed to catch her own food when out in the wild, she was forced to improve or starve after all. After getting enough strength to not only kill her prey with her bare hands, she kept working on increasing the speed until she was quick enough to leave behind an after image whenever she got serious in the fight or hunt for a specific target.
- Impressive Insight: Even though Celeste can appear to be laid back and lazy, she has shown to be more perceptive and detail oriented then one would expect both inside of a fight and outside of a fight. Inside fights, she seems to have an uncanny knack for figuring out the type of magic and how to cancel out its energy output by releasing or altering the energy around it in different ways. One of the ways she manages to accomplish this, outside of just seeing the attack is in how her opponents behave, as well as how their body responds. If the movement is unconscious or an ingrained reflex, the body usually moves a bit different in comparison to conscious movement. Thanks to her high intellect, which is seen in how quick she manages to pick up the different jobs and studies, she can even think up how to solve different problems at the same time within a moment’s notice, a trait that has helped her while working in hospitals as well whenever she had to fight of opponents. A different example of that can be found in how resourceful she is at times, using even the smallest things from her surroundings that can aid in either beating or stopping fights and opponents. Thanks to both her utilization of the surroundings as well as her attention to detail, she can figure out the mechanics behind several techniques by first observing the basic moves of it followed by the more advanced moves that are used in combination with it, helping her in figuring out how they flow from one move to another and eventually seeing the potential different possibilities that can come from mastering that path. Thanks to that, she managed to pick up the different styles that quickly, allowing her to expend her repertoire quickly even though she hardly ever mastered any of those martial arts styles.
- General hand to hand skill: It is possibly because of that, that whenever Celeste fights in a physical fight, the techniques she utilizes are so fluid that it can be likened more to movement instead of fighting styles. Since one of her first teachers would make her practice the basics even outside of the lessons, Celeste continued that practice even after leaving them. Whenever learning new styles, she would try to integrate them in her daily life so that it would not just become second nature to use in fights, but also in her everyday life. A simple application of kouho haiho for example can help with avoiding collisions when working in busy areas, in turn ensuring she can keep momentum without hindering anyone during work, but it can also be used to catch her opponents off guard and knock them down. Sure, Celeste might have a lot of strength but that is probably not the scariest part of her strength but rather in how she manages to integrate the soft martial arts that have a focus on guiding and directing in everything she does. The thing that most people often assume because of that is that she has a talent for the different martial arts styles that can be found, which is an incorrect idea as it is more thanks to her talents in the medical field and perception then actually talent.
- Martial Arts Mastery: As Celeste practiced a lot of martial arts in the past, Celeste can be considered as a master of martial arts thanks to the muscle memory that comes with all the practice from the different teachers. Thanks to the numerous sub-categories of martial arts that she practiced with, she manages to switch between the different styles seamlessly, confusing the opponent as they can’t figure out which style she is using. Acting on her own preference for counters and tiring out the opponent, instead of straight of offensive fighting, Celeste normally uses the grips and locks found in certain martial arts when possible in addition to redirection counters in order to deal the most amount of damage back through the added momentum of a counter. When that is not a plausible option for the situation at hand, she can always switch to a different style. However, one of the biggest mistakes opponents usually make when seeing her fight is that they think that her attacks are either limited solely through physical force or magical force, as they can even be used for something soft like redirecting an opponent, followed by a simple disarming or a lock by aiming for the pressure points that are needed.
- It should go without saying that punching is one of the most basic things one can do in and outside of martial arts. And as one would quickly pick up whenever learning anything about the different styles, there are multiple ways of punching others just as there are multiple ways of actually striking at others. While everyone can simply bald up their hands to throw a punch, the difference between a martial artist and someone who doesn’t practice the martial arts is that the martial artist will punch with a certain control and intent, where-as the latter one just punches with strength. With the proper technique, one could even rupture organs or break the bones in such a way that the organs get pierced without the victim noticing it at first until it is too late. It should come as no surprise to anyone then that depending on how the arm and hand is placed, the punch itself can have different effects. For example, by keeping the fingers tight to each other similar to a knife, one can utilize a so called knife strike with their hand. The goal for this kind of punch is not to stab, but to cut similar to how one would cut with a knife. This is not to say that one would not be able to stab, but most martial artist fighters use it for a cutting attack instead of a stabbing one.
- Kicks are no exception to one of the basic things in and outside of the different martial arts. As certain martial arts have the philosophy that you can do the same things with your feet as your hands like jiujutsu, by altering your center of gravity a bit, you can essentially do the same techniques as when punching. By using the side of your feet, you can essentially use a knife strike with the feet instead of your hands, allowing more freedom in how one essentially fights and making it harder to restrain since both the arms and legs have to be restrained.
- Normal Magical Power: While she technically has a rather immense amount of magic at her disposal, most of it is used keeping her partial transformation active at all time, ensuring she looks like a normal human, with the exception of her prosthetic arm, at all time as well as containing and controlling the chaos through her own magical power instead of will power. As the mask increased the flow of etherano that enters her body for refilling the magical container inside the body of each mage, she generally has no problems with the amount at her disposal for most things that she works with. One of the benefits for her reduced amount of available magical power is that it got her to fine-tune not only her control of the etherano she uses but also fine-tune her control regarding the environmental etherano where necessary as she had to reduce the wasted etherano if she wanted to keep up with other mages that could pose a potential problem. Where-as in most cases, the reduced available amount of etherano would be detrimental to a mage, it forced Celeste into such a precise control that she essentially could remove a lot of potentially wasted etherano, in turn getting access to more spells. As an added side-effect, people generally seem to think that Celeste has a high amount of available magic power with how much magic she can utilize where-as it is mostly thanks to her high control of the magical particles. As to why she rarely uses the full potential of her magical power, it is mainly out of fear that people will see her as the monster of zeref whenever they would see her with mask and there-for avoid or attack her so Celeste just prefers to avoid that with her current solutions.
- Poison resistance: Possibly thanks to a combination of her experience with poisons, antidotes and the natural protection her mask gives her against poison. Celeste got a pretty high resistance against poison which borders on an immunity. As she got curious to how strong that resistance actually was she got from her mask, she began injecting herself with poisons to see what kind of effect it would have on her. Obviously, she held the anti-dote close by in case the poison would be too strong for her resistance to handle. She went through the different available poisons and anti-dotes and she gradually discovered that her body was getting resistant towards poisoning in general since she was able to breathe without a problem in a cloud of her own smoke bombs. Since each of her smoke bombs already have 300 ppm of monoxide at the bare minimum, it is an impressive testament to her resistance as that amount of monoxide is 9 times the amount to make a normal person sick.
- Expert medical skills: Thanks to her experiences and knowledge in the medical field, Celeste became rather good in that field. Using her herbal knowledge, she first started helping with simple things like healing broths that are used regarding sickness or herbs that help with recovering quicker. As she worked with those simple things, she began studying human anatomy so that she was also allowed to help in hospitals.
Take-over is her favored style of magic, although also the one with which she has had the most backlash in the beginning. It allows her in essence to take on the appearance and powers of other beings, not only boosting her chances to quickly adapt to the situation, but also giving her an excuse to practice different martial arts styles as she would call it. Her most common take-over resembles an armed robot, mostly to enhance her strength, and defense, although she herself stated that it is partially due to how she looks in the take-over which is also how she got the nickname of the blood-red knight. Aside from having an incredible amount of experience with it, Celeste is also knowledgeable enough about take-over to know most of the secrets that a take-over can bring with them, which also allows her to figure out not only the purpose but also the power a take-over has whenever an opponent uses a transformation against her.
Jizuri, which is her most commonly seen take-over form allows her to take the form of a red knight, owing to her nickname of the blood knight thanks to its appearance.
When starting this transformation, her entire body gets covered with a mix of scarlet red and jet black energy. The moment her body gets completely covered with the energy, it also starts to change her clothing in the red with yellow armor that this form is known for. As her clothing changes, her hair becomes longer, with more volume added to it. The moment her armor and hair finished, her head gets covered last by the helmet that almost covers her entire head.
Michiyuki Byakko is Celeste's most powerful Take Over when it comes to defense.
It basically allows her to take on not only the appearance and abilities but also the powers of the king of beasts, Michiyuki Byakko.
Once the transformation is started, the spell changes Celeste's appearance drastically. Firstly, her entire skin becomes pitch black. Even the clothes she wears at that moment change their color, becoming just as black as the skin at that moment. As the clothing starts to twist around her, it becomes slowly more like a silvery metal shaped like a white armor with the shoulder pieces shaped like box shaped lion heads until it finally settles on the proper form and becomes a combination of silver and metal in coloration. Grey metallic markings appear to start surrounding her eyes, gradually covering the rest of her head in a helmet manner before settling in a mask that fits both perfectly while also removing any obstruction during the moving, breathing and looking.
Her body however receives the most notable changes. Besides the skin, her physique becomes more bulky, her muscles expand and become more well defined, bringing it closer in appearance to her ogre king then other forms. Her hands get covered in a protective glove of the same material that is covering the rest of her body. Her leg and feet gain the same change, although the part that sticks out the most regarding the legs is the added shield that is sticking out on the legs.
The ogre king
This spell exchanges her ever-so youthful appearance with a more grotesque one, vaguely reminiscent of that of an ogre. This form was obtained when Celeste fought the leader of an Ogre colony. The transformation enhances all her natural abilities several times, as well as giving her some new ones. The transformation-process gathers a massive wave of Magical energy, which drains the surrounding area. After the gathering of energy, her skin is covered by brown scales of Magic. In her new form, Celeste's pale skin color has been exchanged with a dark shade of brown. Her hair has become pure white and even become shorter, barely reaching below her shoulder blades. Two hornlike pieces of body seem to have grown out of her skull, annoying Celeste slightly since she preferred to be without horns. Both her irises, have become scarlet red and her pupils constantly appears to be elipsed. Two black, scar-like marks appears under one eye each, mimicking the appearance of tears. While the change isn't extremely radical compared to other users of Take Over, this form's strength is worlds apart from her human form.
The harpy queen
This spell allows her to change to a harpy queen. Once started, Celeste's entire skin becomes pitch black during the transformation. Even her clothes become black as the night. Her hair lengthens to below her shoulder blades, appearing wilder, the color of it becoming a dirty purple with two small jet black horns. While her mouth remains the same, her teeth become sharper. The eyes themselves also change with the sclera turning completely black, the eye itself becoming amber. Her body however receives the most notable changes. As her skin starts to get a normal color back, it becomes more toned, her muscles less defined than normal. Her hands grow to claws, able to slash through various tough materials like rocks, steel and titanium to name a few examples. Her clothing attire consist of a black, bordering on gray, bodysuit with what seems like bones that protect her sides and back, although her shoulders and legs are kept bare. Her breasts are now more pronounced, with small metallic bones under them. From the wrist to her elbows, wings appear on the back of her arm with each of them big enough to cover her own body in both width as well as length. The boots that cover the talons on her feet are the combined work of the delicate and nuanced workmanship of a smith's utmost effort and a tailor making it comfortable to wear, succeeding in granting it an air of formidability and a fine construction, neither exquisite nor crude, and it instead perfectly melds magnificence and functionality.
This spell allows her to change to Macha. Once started, Celeste's entire skin becomes pure white during the transformation. Even her clothes become white as the snow. Her hair changes color to blue, appearing wilder. While her mouth remains the same, her teeth become sharper. The eyes themselves also change with the sclera turning ocean blue, the eye itself remaining white.
Her right eye is covered with a black eye-patch, adorned with a skull that mostly serves to lengthen her battles.
Her body however receives the most notable changes. As her skin starts to get a normal color back, it becomes more toned, her muscles more defined than normal. Her clothing attire consist of brown leather, bandages and some fur, although her shoulders and legs are kept bare.
As the transformation finishes, she raises her right hand to the sky to pull out her sword while speaking a single line; bow down to the queen of the amazons.
Although not really one of her best styles of magic, she does have enough experience with it to allow her access to her armors, weapons or tools, though she is not above using it simply for dressing up when in an hurry.
A dagger made of an unknown metal that seems to be unbreakable as it has been able to withstand the brute force that Celeste applies on it continuously during her fights while the sealing mechanism that keeps the dagger in place seems to break a lot easier.
The dagger itself appears to be a tactical combat dagger. The hilt of the dagger is hidden inside Celeste her prosthetic arm. The quillion, while being long enough to protect against bladed weapons, is a bit unusual in the fact that the right side of it has a point curved downwards similar to a demons claw where-as the left side has the point curved upwards. Since it is a full tang construction, the quillion has also added in a bolter pair reinforcement for a stronger construction. One of the decorations that can be seen whenever she pulls out the dagger is between both quillion, an ornate red beryl crafted in the construction in such a way as to make it appear like the dagger grew around the beryl instead of the beryl being added for decoration. The ricasso has a small part jutting out on both sides, transitioning into the bladed part, before it finally tapers to a spear point. As the bladed part is covered in inscriptions, whenever there is magic channeled through the material, the inscriptions start to glow pink, a few shades brighter then the red beryl between both quillion.
Nine Legion Masks For Celeste, her mask allows her not only to summon and control the sentinel Tribe and control how they use their Poison Magic but also obtained some of their resistance to poison in general.
Smoke bombs with normal smoke to confiscate sight and poisonous smoke bombs.
Shards of glass
Claymores filled with steel balls
Normal explosive claymore mines.
While Celeste is generally seen using it for combat, she uses the wrench more for construction and repairing then actual fighting. Strengthened to the point that it could withstand Celeste her normal grip, it is similar to a box-end wrench but, instead of encircling the nut completely, it has a narrow opening just wide enough to allow the wrench to fit over the tube, and thick jaws to increase the contact area with the nut. This allows for maximum contact whenever she is working or building with softer metals in the nuts as those are generally quicker damaged with open ended wrenches.
Her pipe, which looks like a kiseru. It was a gift from one of her old travel companions, something to remember him by as far as she can recall.
Her herb collection, while not as extensive as she would like is pretty solid in its own case, ranging from herbs for healing, sleeping, relaxation all the while to the poisonous ones for interrogation and murder.
The Oleandrin is used to interfere with some of the essential processes in the body, the most important process in those are the inhibition of proteins that enable the cells to exchange the cation of Na+ ( sodium that loses an electron ) and K+ ( potassium that loses an electron ) between the spaces of the cells and outside of the cells in the body which are used by the electric signals in the body to travel to nerve cells. Oleandrin binds to specific amino acids within the protein, ensuring that the protein will lose its function the moment that the binding process is completed. After the Na+ flows into the cells, they will start to depolarize which is causing the sodium gradients to disappear as it cannot be transported back in the external cellular membrane once it flows into the cells.
The nightshade part of the combination however is used more for its atropine, hyoscyamine and the effect that they have when used on someone where-as the scopolamine from the nightshade is rarely used in any of her combinations or even pure. Atropine is one of the active agents in the nightshade that she most likely utilizes the most out of those three thanks to how it works in combination with the other herbs she has access to. Thanks to its effects on the heart rate – seen in its uses to treat slow heart rates – and some nerve agents, it is a decent combination with the oleandrin that Celeste uses when she has to take out a target in a clean and silent way without leaving any traces. Some of the more common side-effects that might show up on the ones she uses atropine on are a lowered saliva production, dizziness, potentially extreme confusion, dissociative hallucinations, nausea, blurred vision, loss of balance, increased size for the pupils and a higher heart rate ( although the higher heart rate is not that noticeable when combined with medicines, herbs or something else that has a focus on either lowering the heart rate or hiding the increased heart rate for the mind ) . After getting it in the target, the atropine usually works within a minute and lasts for half an hour before the effects start to wear off. After a single day, the atropine has already been absorbed in the body or dissolved making it impossible to trace after that time period, essentially making it one of the best weapons for assassins if they prefer to kill through poison without leaving any traces. One of the reasons she prefers to use atropine in combination with oleandrin is because of how it works on the sinoatrial nodes, atrioventricular node, vagus nerve acetylcholine receptor sites and the bronchial secretions.
The vagus nerves that get opposed cannot lower the heart rate as one of the more important functions of the vagus nerve, the ones that lower the heart rate when stimulated by the parasympathetic nerves, are essentially blocked by the atropine. Blocked would still be the incorrect term since the atropine opposes the actions instead of blocks them, but it is close enough to an explanation towards most people. The sinoatrial node is the one responsible for the heart rhythm thanks to the cells that produce the electrical impulse that make the heart contract, which is why it is also nicknamed the natural pace maker for the heart as it keeps the heart beat at a stable rhythm. By increasing the rate that the impulses are fired, the heart rate increases, lowering the time that is needed for the oleandrin to essentially shut down the heart. The mechanics for this are rather simple even though the explanations are usually not that simple, as it can be compared to creating action potential.
The sinoatrial node initiates the action potential in order to make it pass throughout the heart and cause the contractions needed after expanding. A simple way of describing the action potential here is a change in the voltage ( which is a membrane potential ) that is across the membranes of the cell itself, produced by the movement of charged atoms ( ions in this case ) . Non-pacemaker cells like the ventricular and the atrial cells have a period of rest, immediately after an action potential has been released so as to keep the membrane potential relatively constant, which is also known as a resting membrane potential. The resting phase that comes after an action potential got released ends when another action potential reaches the cell, similar to a tag team setup. The so called pace maker cells however exclude that resting phase and have the membrane potential depolarize immediately after the action potential, which is also known as a pacemaker potential. Once that potential reaches the so called threshold value it will produce another action potential. Other cells like the purkinje fibers and the atrioventricular node can however also initiate the same action potential but those cells have a slower rate and therefore the atrioventriculare nodes will always lose in a match of speed towards the sinoatrial node.
There is however a small difference between the non-pacemaker cells and the pace maker cells regarding the action potential, but that difference lies in the phases. Immediately after an action potential, when the membrane potential is very negative thanks to it being hyper polarized, the voltage slowly begins to increase. This is initially thanks to the closing of potassium channels which lowers the flow of potassium ions out of the cells. Alongside that, channels known as hyperpolarisation-activated cyclic nucleotide–gated channels ( or hcn for short ) begin to activate as a result of the potassium channels being closed. It is however a rather unusual property of ion channels, which is why the flow of the sodium and potassium through the hcn is nicknamed as a funny flow. This funny flow causes the membrane potential of a cell to gradually increase as the positive charges of sodium and potassium start to flow back in the cell. This funny current causes the membrane potential of the cell to gradually increase, as the positive charge of both Na+ and K+ is flowing into the cell.
Another mechanism involved in pacemaker potential is the so-called calcium clock. In the calcium clock, calcium is released from the sarcoplasmic reticulum ( which is essentially a membrane bound structure in the muscle cells ) spontaneously, which is known as a spontaneous Ca2+ spark ( which is required to initiates muscle contraction in skeletal and cardiac muscles and muscle relaxation in smooth muscles ) . This increase in calcium within the cell then activates a sodium-calcium exchanger, which removes one Ca2+ from the cell, and exchanges it for 3 Na+ into the cell (therefore removing a charge of +2 from the cell, but allowing a charge of +3 to enter the cell) therefore increasing the membrane potential. The calcium is later pumped back into the cell via calcium channels located on the cell membrane and SR membrane. The increase in membrane potential produced by these mechanisms, activates T-type calcium channels and then L-type calcium channels ( which open very slowly ) . These channels allow a flow of calcium ions into the cell, making the membrane potential more positive.
Then there is also the depolarization phase. When the previously mentioned threshold value for the membrane potential is reached, the membrane begins to depolarize in a high tempo, becoming more positive charged as a result. The main attribute for that flow is the Ca2 spark mentioned in the calcium clock mechanism, through the now fully open L type calcium channels and as long as the T type channels are open, the hcn channels are closed completely thanks to their deactivation.
Long story short, when messing with any of those mechanics through nightshade or oleandrin just to name a few of her poisons, you essentially shut down the heart and potentially other organs as well thanks to the collateral damage caused in shutting down the heart that way.
As there are cases where Celeste needed to immobilize her target instead of outright killing them, she started looking into herbs that could do that. After some researching, she found several curare recipes that could be used for either paralyzing, inducing sleep or inducing an altered state of consciousness for multiple purposes like interrogating, fear inducement and more. For most of her curare recipe's she needs plants from the Abuta genes that can be found in the menispermaceae family as components. These recipes are based on alkaloids and include tubocurarine, a poison used by tribes on their poison darts, that is obtained from species of Curarea, Chondrodendron, Sciadotenia and Telitoxicum. Seeing how effective those tribes could hunt with those, she went and memorized both the poisons and antidotes possible with the different herbs available in curare mixes. Whenever one of those curare with a focus on immobilizing her target would either penetrate or be breathed in, depending on how strong she made the curare, can be between 1 minute for some of her stronger ones up to 15 minutes for some of her weaker ones. With the weaker ones, it is more of a gradual process where they will slowly start to feel drowsy, numb, lightheaded or as if their limbs and entire body became a lot heavier until they start to crash down thanks to the curare taking full effect. With the stronger ones however, it is more of an acute effect since the effects are happening at such a high speed and force that it knocks you out similar to a knock-out punch. In the cases that she would prepare curare in the traditional way, the curare always turned out as a dark, heavy viscid paste that would taste very bitter to who-ever would taste it, making it rather hard to use through someone’s food.
During her travels, Celeste managed to get such a rich bounty of plants rich in alkaloids that an effective curare can already be made by boiling down several plants of any combination, up to 20 different species. Once the mix becomes a thick syrupy tar, it is strong enough to bring down anything from a human to an S-class demon. There are also ways to make it less like a tar and more like a liquid or gas, but those usually require a few more days of preparation as Celeste would need to make tinctures of it in the case of liquid curare and would have to get the dust from several curare's in order for it to be effective in the air. Needless to say, the airborne version is usually used in combination with her bombs or when she needs to take care of a group of people instead of one where-as the tar and liquid form can be used more aimed at a specific person. As for how it works, since the various components are organic compounds classified as either isoquinoline or indole alkaloids, with Tubocurarine as the major active component in several of her poisonous darts. And as an alkaloid, tubocurarine is a naturally occurring compound that consists of nitrogenous bases—although the chemical structure of alkaloids is highly variable.
Like most alkaloids, tubocurarine consists of a cyclic system with a nitrogen atom in an amine group. Because of this structure or thanks to this structure, tubocurarine can bind readily to the receptors for acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction, which blocks nerve impulses from being sent to the skeletal muscles, effectively paralyzing the muscles of the body. Since tubocurarine binds reversibly to the acetylcholine receptors, treatment for curare poisoning involves adding an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, which will stop the destruction of acetylcholine so that it can compete with curare.
For those reasons, Curare is an example of a non-depolarizing muscle relaxant that blocks the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, one of the two types of acetylcholine receptors, at the neuromuscular junction. The main toxin of curare, d-tubocurarine, occupies the same position on the receptor as acetylcholine with an equal or greater affinity, and elicits no response, making it a competitive antagonist. The antidote for curare poisoning is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (anti-cholinesterase), such as physostigmine or neostigmine. By blocking acetylcholine degradation, acetylcholinesterase inhibitors raise the amount of acetylcholine in the neuromuscular junction; the accumulated acetylcholine will then correct for the effect of the curare by activating the receptors not blocked by toxin at a higher rate.