"Ever since I came to the academy, All I ever wanted was to become a great mage in the hopes of earning my place in the world. So far, that dream died when I saw how the world really worked, and now It's all on me to make sure that real justice is served"
Don Lanford(ランフォード Ranfoudo) Is a former member of the Rune Knights, a branch of the Magic Council who were tasked with enforcing order in the magic world to ensure peace and harmony. With his partner, Victor Saith, he left the ranks of the knights after an incident that opened his eyes to the truth, going on his own to form a new team, Team Denix, that would take on the tasks that the knights would never touch in order to ensure real peace and harmony. Over time, he rallied up many types of people, allowing two others to join in and help him on his mission, all the while trying to keep a curse that was placed on him under control. Over the time he spent around, traveling to most different regions around, people have nicknamed him, The Armored Executioner(装甲刑吏 Soukoukeiri), due to his armor that he can manifest from the single armor on his entire left hand.
AppearanceDon Lanford is a tall young man with brown hair that reaches to the base of his neck in the back and is styled into rather messy, vertical spikes and bangs that frame his face. He has blue eyes and slightly tanned skin. His hair is cut like it's a bother, leaving it somewhat uneven as if he doesn't care. His gaze is stern; though it is not without the caring aura that he exudes in every action. His skin is slightly darkened, and his eyes are a fierce azure, which are said to bore into the souls of everyone he stares at. His toned figure, along with his image, causes many to regard him as 'handsome'.
Don wears two intersecting straps over his chest, though his red ones are rather different, dropping much lower down and almost resembling criss-crossed suspenders. He wears a badge on his belt. He wears a skintight, black, high-collared shirt, showing that he is rather muscular. Don's pants bear a distinct feudal Japanese style; his belt is tied like an obi-sash and he wears hakama (traditional samurai pants distinguished by the large pleats). His hakama are dark grey near the top, with several loops for his belt and two buttons, both of which are undone. The rest of the pants are tan with a small, lighter stripe of tan on the bottom hem. Don wears a plain black wristband on his right arm, while his left arm is significantly more armored. Don wears armor on one arm that's cursed, which has an ornate crest with a long, segmented section, each segment alternating between dark grey and dark red, reaching all the way to the bottom of his hand. He also wears a black, fingerless glove on his hand and what appears to be a black gauntlet on his forearm, over the segmented armor, which also has small pieces of dark red armor on it. Finally, his armored boots are dark brown and gold.
As a young child, Don had always enjoyed seeing the incredible feats of what mages could do, always believe that magic was a great wonder of the world and wanted to have it more than anyone. He often was viewed as a dreamer of sorts, always believeing in anything that gave him hope into what the future would bring for him, especially since his own dream of becoming a mage was the very thing that made him continue to learn everything he could about magic. Eventually when he finally found that he was born with magical energy, his joy went through the roof as he started to get serious about harnessing his magic in order to make sure that he could control it properly.
After getting better and being accepted into the Rune Knights, Don's dream made him take on a more serious approach to things, wanting them done the right way rather than goofing off or being lazy at the times. To him, the code of the Rune Knights was a testament to him, always keeping to the strictiest rules as he wanted to make sure that nothing would get him kicked out of the dream he worked so hard to achieve. However, an incident occured that caused Don to overthink everything his life stood for, everything he ever was, and everything he ever would be as he quit the knights and left with Victor going with him to find the truth about who he was.
After much soul searching, he found that he still stood for the truth, even if others went down the wrong path of it, making him determined to continue on his task. After meeting his teammates, Don started to find something he had been missing since he first started out on the journey, love, friendship, and happiness that comes from spending the time together with people that he cared for. In cases when he goes into a serious fight, Don will often ask that everyone around him leave to make sure that no one would get hurt, and become a stone-cold warrior that fights to the limit, regardless of what gets destroyed or how badly himself he gets hurt.
Don Lanford was born to a normal bunch of parents who worked simple jobs and had simple lives, but his family tree dates back to the days of the Dragon Civil War, making his family one of pure mage descendents. Growing up, Don often had dreams of incredible adventures that he would take, beating every evil dower that stood in his way, and becoming the hero he always wanted to be. At the young age of four, he would see the future he wanted when there was an invading swarm of bandits that were destroying everything in their path. However, his village was eventually saved by the Rune Knights, which gave Don the vision of what he wanted to do with his future: Join the knights and become part of a greater truth. At the age of six, Don left home to enroll after his discovery of his magic, applying even though he was underage, and being turned away, only to find himself challening their strongest member, and ending in his defeat, but allowed him to register and train under the knight's emblem.
At the age of 10, Don was among some of the new recruits to be allowed a first-hand look at what the devestation of what the knight's lack of interference could do. However, what they saw wasn't a destroyed village, but a pile of multiple bodies all slashed and mutilated as they saw a young kid wielding a broken down sword, soaked in blood, with the eyes of the beast. Don, however, saw that he was simply scared and went towards him, only to easily catch the blade and snap it in half, smiling as the young kid named himself Victor Saith. From then on, the two were considered the best of friends, always looking out for one another as the two continued on their intense training to become Rune Knights.
At the age of 18, Don had been turned from a simple boy with a childhood dream into a powerful mage who was ready to take his place among his rune knight breatheren. After his initial training, Don had been given a special sword to mark the occasion, which was named Fragarch. However, before his graduation, he and Victor had discovered something the night before Don's graduation. They had overheard that Don's hometown was set to be attacked once again by invaders, only this time, the Rune Knights would allow for it to happen as they had pressing matters that were much more important than one town. In his mind, Don's entire dreams and ambitions seemed to crumble into dust when he heard this news, causing him to black out. After coming too, he knew that what he saw was nothing more than a farce, something to give people false hope to have a better future, but he then decided to build real hope for a better future as he quit the knights along with Victor, leaving to start making plans for how they would go about this new resolve.
Eight years passed since that dreadful day as Don and Victor had started their initial plan after gathering two people who shared their belief, Dana Cyrus and Iris Maggio, and created the newly formed Team Denix, a group who's task was to travel across the entire world, looking for the unaware dangers of any kind, making sure that they would be answered by them as the team would often be seen as an Inigma: there for the crime, but disappearing before anyone can ever identify them.
- Fragarch(戦神の剣 (フラガラック), Furagaku, Irish for The Retaliator, Japanese for Sword of the War God): Fragarach is a specially designed sword, forged by a highly skilled blacksmith in order to combat the demonic—or rather, its statistics are completely maxed in durability, light-weight, sharpness, and size; being called 'the perfect sword'; though interestingly, its physical appearance seems more akin to that of a sort of skeleton key. The shaft of Fragarach has a textured, dark brown color, with brass edges. The teeth that serve as the 'cutting blade' are made of two pick-like points, with two hammer-like protrusions on the opposite side; the blade itself is long and extravagant, being almost as long as Don is tall. The guard is an off-blue color, and seems to be crafted from two Omega insignias; which are the last letter in the Greek alphabet (Ω) as it is elongated to form a wing-like shape of sorts; and finally, the pommel is a dark blue cone. This sword was forged by Iris Maggio, who found that the metal she had found during her travel's actually slowed the down the process of Don's demonic corruption, resulting in her making the blade and arm gauntlet for him to help him live a lot longer as a human. It has been shown that the blade itself is capable of adapting to different forms when the user channels Eternano into it, allowing for me incredible feats.
- Xerium Armor(ゼリャム具足 Zeriamu Gusoku): is a special piece of armor that was forged by Iris Maggio, who had stolen a special metal from some unknown being while on her travel's, which later turned out to be a demon as it resulted in a piece of armor that she made for him to infuse with his own left hand, making it impossible to take off. It is also said that the armor is slowly fusing with his body, slowly crawling up to possess him entirely, but is often stopped when Don's will is strong enough. It has an ornate crest with a long, segmented section, each segment alternating between dark grey and dark red, reaching all the way to the bottom of his hand. He also wears a black, fingerless glove on his hand and what appears to be a black gauntlet on his forearm, over the segmented armor, which also has small pieces of dark red armor on it. When used fully, the armor surrounds his entire body, adding more of the same dark red armor until he is completely encased in it, resulting in him having new more powerful abilities, and him unable to take off the armor until the fight is done. It has been shown that when he is inside of this armor and wields his sword, he is able to modify it into different forms that allow him to fight better, and can often become very powerful when he uses his full power.
- Chimarise Mode(合獣化 (キマイライズ・モード), Kimairaizu Mōdo lit. Turn Into A Fusion Beast): The Chimarise Mode is a special function of the armour; thanks to the shedding of the unnecessary portions of the armor, it gave the user the ability to mimic the power of demons. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of a psychic maiden. The conflict of the maiden's soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the armor - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of Chimarise Mode, the armor's optical sensors would glow red. Normally, the armor is a high performance armor with generally above average statistics but nothing of any particularly remarkable quality, but when the user strong enough emotional pull (usually anger), the armor feeds off of it and transforms into Chimarise Mode. Its speed ramps up significantly, its strength seems to increase, it gains new abilities related to the psychic linings on the suit, becoming mentally controlled by the user, and it gains an E-Field, making it invulnerable to magical projectiles. When Chimarise Mode is activated, the MP Engine operates at full power by releasing all of the stored eternano and increasing the MP Engine operation rate to its maximum output. These released magical particles saturate the frame of the armor, which renders a glowing pink-reddish hue on the entire armor; boosting all of it's power, including defense, offense, and speed—equaling a balanced boost of power.
Magic & Abilities
Way of Combat
Master Swordsmanship: Since he was young, Don had always been shown to have an affinity for the sword as first seen when he picked up a stick, and was able to hit someone hard with a unique sword slash that no one had ever seen before. Over time during his official training with the rune knights, he developed a special style of powerful adaptive swordsmanship that allows him to enhance his sword strikes by channeling the Eternano energy into the blade, while at the same time, also allowing him to modulate the wavelength inside of the sword, giving him incredible grinding sword strikes that can break and rip apart anything that it comes into contact with it. Over time his skills developed into a powerful sword mastership, allowing to encounter and face off with the best of the best, often at times with his trusted sword at his side. Don's skills have shown to be beyond anything anyone expected, even going as far as mastering a forbidden sword spell that is said to only be able to be used by the masters of the sword, making him one of the very few capable of doing it.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: When he was young, Don had been enrolled in a special fighting school that often focused and developed the fighter's core in order to be better capable of dodging and incredible physical maneuverability. With this, Don's fighting often focuses on the movement and jumping he does, allowing him to move at incredible speeds to add more force to his attacks, while at the same time leaving his opponent in a confusion that leaves them unable to react due to the unorthodox of someone bouncing around like a rubber ball.When he stops at times, Don switches to a close up hand-to-hand, working on heavy hits and powerful body shots that can often break down an opponent and even break bones and other limbs with enough trauma that he does, and even being able to ware down opponents who often specialize in harden endurance and rely on their body to be take the punishment. In some cases, Don can often cut the feeling to his body when he needs to, allowing him to swing his fists and not worry about the full force of the impact and what it might cause to his fists, making him able to punch out incredible people with no more than a few strikes. The second part to this is that he cloaks his entire body in a powerful magic cloak, adding in a second layer of protection and increasing the power of his strikes with ease.
Incredible Strength: Since his training days, Don's physical enhancement training was focused on only drawing out the true strength of his muscles, resulting in better physical prowess than overcompensating muscular physique that some mages often gather from their training days. In some cases, when Don is shown to be in a power struggle against someone who is more muscular in a sense, his more developed muscles allowed him to easily match the strength of someone with more developed muscles than his own, and often at times even being able to over power someone who often consider themselves to be the strongest. In special cases, Don has been seen to not be haltered by any form of resistances due to the Rune Knight training, allowing him to fight in almost any environment surrounding him, especially underwater, despite not being able to use water magic, he has been shown to be able to punch and kick without resistance from the water itself.
Powerful Durability: Like with many forms of training, Don had been shown to go through one of the most difficult training methods when he decided to enter the Rune Knights Academy. When he first started, Don was put through very intense training methods, whether it was enduring intense heat, meditating in near sub-zero temperatures, or even withstanding multiple weather phenomenon's at once, Don's training helped him to grow even stronger in both physical and mental durability. After completing his routine training along with some secret training he did during his time with the academy, Don was known through his group as the most enduring man they had ever seen, almost everything that attempted to bring him down took even longer for him than a normal person would. After leaving the ranks of the knights, he contentiously trained in any form of environment that would gain him more strength, allowing his body to adapt and eventually be stronger to take on anything that would be thrown at him, whether it's physical or magical.
Enhanced Reflexes: From what a person would see when first looking at Don, it would appear that he does not rely on using his reflexes, especially considering his attire does not seem to be very flexible. This is often proven wrong when they challenge Don in a fight, as they realize that he is quite fast, reacting to their attacks with zero hesitation. He is able to move around their strikes, as though they are moving extremely slow to his perspective. This allows him to counter his adversary's attacks, allowing him to retaliate with fierce strikes and take down his opponent. He is also able to add in his agility into the mix, as he can bend his body in near-impossible ways, allowing him to further dodge his attacks that come his way. This makes him a deadly foe, forcing one to be extremely careful when they fight him or else they run the risk of being taken down with little resistance.
Genius Intellect: Don has shown himself to be intelligent, analytical, perceptive, and deductive. Don appears to be able to determine the pattern of his opponent's battle methods and correctly deduce a proper counter-strategy to defeat his opponent's attacks. Don's intellect is one of the key skills of his fighting style; though by the time he decides to focus on physical skills, Don has taken up a habit of enduring his foe's blows while analyzing and breaking down the structure of the techniques, which grants him the ability to quickly overcome them the second time around. He has a great talent for analyzing and observing everything in his presence. He is well-versed in the history, strategy, tactics of the world, and is privy to knowledge previously unknown to many. Lastly, he has also shown himself as a powerful and flexible tactician, capable of adjusting seamlessly to any given combat situation, if not plan out events well in advance. He understands the strengths, weaknesses and mannerisms of his enemies and creates strategies to achieve victory.
Leadership: It has been shown that Don has the capacity and capability to be able to lead various members of his own team, and at times often lead other mages that often came into his command when he fought against powerful mages. Since the Rune Knight academy, many had noted that despite his serious presence and his rather strict standing at times, Don could understand many of how his teammates would think, how they felt through some through their actions with him, and it often allows him to truly understand how his team is. In some cases, Don can instinctively understand how people work at times in situations when someone needs to be a Leader, which allows him to gain people's trust and understanding that allows him to take charge of the situation, despite if no one has ever met Don in their entire life.
Immense Magical Energy: At a young age, Don came from a long line of mages, dating back to his great-grandfather, and showed that each person in the family had been born with the capability to generate and master magic of most different forms. However, in Don's case, he was gifted with a special form of Eternano that was considered to be in a pure state of energy, allowing him to use any style of magic without worry of incompatible magic's for himself. Over time with the development of his training, Don has been shown to be able to show himself a master over this energy, allowing him to endow anything he grabs or touches with his magic to allow it to deal much more damage when he fights against an opponent. Due to the unique armor he was bonded with when he met up with the blacksmith Iris, it allows Don to enbody his Eternano into the gauntlet, allowing him to manifest the magic he has into a more solid physical shape, manipulating and weaponizing it in order to fend off against anyone that attempts to outnumber him. Despite his young age, Don has been determined to have abilities to that of S-class mages, making him one of the strongest members of Team Denix as well as making him a powerful rival to many people he often meets across his long travels. Sword Magic(剣の魔法 Ken no Mahō): Is a Caster Magic that allows the user to infuse their Eternano with any form of sword they are currently holding, channeling the energy as it is allowed to change the sword into different ways or have different abilities depending on the user's ability to create the spells. For Don, his sword's unique shape allows him to actually manifest different forms depending on what he requires in battle, while also at times being able to generate energy based spells that allow him to fight at great distances and can often send out devestating attacks.
- Vibration Slash(揺斬, Yōzan): Is a Sword Magic spell that allows the user to focus their Eternano energy into their sword, accelerating the energy in it as it starts to cause vibrations throughout the sword, making it move at high speeds as it causes the swords appearance to look more like that of a saw than a bladed weapon as the user holds it in control to make sure it doesn't goes ballistic. When in the saw-like form, the user can harness and focus the incredible speed and extend it to reach out to very long distances as it can actually rip apart anything that gets in it's way, whether it be a solid density or fluid, the blade can rip through it and shred it apart without worry of it aiming at the user. However, there are some risks to using this spell as the blade's vibrations can often spiral out of control if the user doesn't have his magic under control, which can lead to the user being ripped apart by their own magic. When the user extends the spell to far distances, they run the risk of having their blade vibrate uncontrollably and often rip apart everything around them, which can cause devastating to everyone who is in the way.
- Deep-Six Edge(深六刃, Fukarokujin): The user begins by channeling as much Eternano into their blade as possible, slowly causing it to glow the bright color aura of the user's own magic, resulting in the separation of multiple Eternano-based swords as the user is able to solidify them into physical weapons that are linked to the user's body, allowing them to float around the user and act as defenses whenever he does not use them. When all blades are used, they allow a powerful destructive ability that breaks them down into multiple shards, allowing the person to recreate them in different forms and send them attacking at an opponent with ease. However, this spell has risks, one being that once the swords themselves harden, the user would only be able to use one at a time, meaning the other blades may only act in a defensive manner.
- Howling Berserk Blade(遠吠え凶暴刃, Tōboe Kyōbōjin): When the user channel's an unstable energy around their blade, which causes a sonic resonance to sound as if it is actually howling, the user then adds a focused concentration to give the shape of what appears to be a beserking face in the blade as it manifests itself to surround the opponent with a vibrating shield that can given the user much more protection while the user holds the blade. It has also been seen that the user is capable of manifesting different shapes on his sword, allowing him to fight or aid in anyway when the user is in a battle. However, there is a risk to using this spell as the more fighting becomes of the blade, the less stable control the user will have and will be forced to release the sword to ensure that the vibrations don't destroy their body.
- Shadow Force Assailant: Demon Slash(影軍加害•魔斬, Kagegun Kagai: Mazan): Is one of the Legendary Sword Magic spells around, once said to be forbidden in many regions, and often considered a legend. To begin the initial step into activating this spell, the sword master must first empty their minds, blocking out all thoughts of logic and focus on their instincts of the sword to guide them. In their state of mind, the space around starts to distort from the slow increase of the magic energy that starts to build up as they begin to channel said energy into their bodies, slowly allowing the instincts to take over as they shift positions, putting their sword into a forward defensive position as the charge of magic energy begins to double and cause shift in the space around them, distorting the air and causing it to split in different directions as if they are being sliced every second the charge beings. Eventually the full force of the spell begins to emerge as the full force of the pressure beings to cause the area to break apart piece by piece as if the sword itself was slicing into the ground, dicing everything into cubes as the energy continued to charge more more until the sword would glow a very bright and hardened color depending on the material it was made from. Once fully charged, the user would disappear in an instant, slashing normally as they would end up behind or next to the opponent as suddenly the area around them experiences almost an infinite amount of slashes that deal deadly damage to them, and also destroys everything around the user, devastating everything in it's path like a demon looking only to consume blood. The second version of this spell shows a much less harmful way, but it is also considered to be one of the most dangerous methods to do as it involves a gamble with lady-luck and chance. Instead of the slash devastating everything in it's path, the user's focus could actually only attack the enemy and the surrounding objects, leaving only any sort of hostages intact. With such a destructive spell, there comes great risks for those who wish to use it, one being that they must be a master of the sword, or else face the consequences of having their own body chopped up like sushi. Another risk to this is that the long time it takes to summon it, the user would have to endure the constant onslaught of the opponent with no means of defending themselves at all. Lastly, due to the incredible amount of magic needed to use and control this great spell, it is warned to only be used when all options are exhausted, and even then, it can only be used once in which afterwords the user is drained of almost their entire magic. Don originally learned this spell after mastering his sword from a hermit who was once a Rune Knight himself, wanting to show that Don would have the chance he didn't: To help bring true justice to all who have been left in the dust.
- Shadow Force Assailant: Devil Cut (影軍加害・鬼斬り, Kagegun Kagai Onigiri): Shadow Force Assailant: Devil Cut is the second version of Shadow Force Assailant: Demon Slash, being considered a revision of the original. The second version of Shadow Force Assailant: Demon Slash shows a much less harmful way, but it is also considered to be one of the most dangerous methods to do as it involves a gamble with lady-luck and chance. Instead of the slash devastating everything in it's path, the user's focus could actually only attack the enemy and the surrounding objects, leaving only any sort of hostages intact. With such a destructive spell, there comes great risks for those who wish to use it, one being that they must be a master of the sword, or else face the consequences of having their own body chopped up like sushi. Another risk to this is that the long time it takes to summon it, the user would have to endure the constant onslaught of the opponent with no means of defending themselves at all. Lastly, due to the incredible amount of magic needed to use and control this great spell, it is warned to only be used when all options are exhausted, and even then, it can only be used once in which afterwords the user is drained of almost their entire magic.
Telekinesis(テレキネシス Terekineshisu): Is a Caster Magic that allows the user to focus their mind with Eternano energy that can manipulate the outward Eternano and move it using only a single thought to connect with the Eternano of a physical object, allowing the user to move it. For Don, he has a unique for telekinesis that allows him to interact with his sword and armor, allowing him to be able to summon them both with only a thought, and often at times allowing him to retrieve them and even locate them when they are many distances away from them. In battle, Don has been shown to have incredible control of this magic as he is often able to move around objects twice his size, and often at times keeps his sword in mid-air in order to allow him use of his hands to better fight an opponent.
Shadow-Make(シャドウメイク Shadoumeiku): Is a Caster Magic and Molding Magic that allows the user to manifest and shape the shadows around him into different forms depending on how powerful the user's imagination is when they control it. When Don focuses the shadow's to be used at his advantage, allowing him to manipulate the shadows that any object casts, making it very dangerous in his hands while he uses them. In most situations, Don often makes various objects that act as forms of enhancers to his fighting ability along with his blade as well, making it very difficult for most opponents to guess what he can come up, an example was seen when he shaped the shadows around his arms to act as a sort of whips, allowing him to swing from area to area without worrying about having been in a fight with anyone, and even allowing him for longer range of attacks when needed.
- Umbra Zone(本影区, Honeiku):
- Dark Shimmer(微光っ暗, Hikakkura):
- Titan Coffin(巨棺, Kyokan):
- Wraith Demolition(生霊撤去, Ikiryō Tekkyo):
Force-Field Magic(力-分野の魔法 Ryoku-Bunya no Mahō): Is a very unique Caster Magic that allows the user to generate a powerful shield barrier around them, composed of absorbed Eternano from around the area. When in use, the force field is seen to be determined by the control of the density and the given focus that it takes for the shield to be hardened. When in battle, the user can focus it through many different ways, mostly having it in a hardened form that allows most powerful physical attacks to be blocked with ease and even redirected to deal the damage to another object. In a lesser dense state, more to the ways of rubber, the shield is able to bounce back strong attacks and spells, often lessening the impact and at times and stretching far outward in order to allow for better protection. However, despite the impressive abilities, there comes serious risks, one being that while using this magic, the user is unable to generate any form of other magic, often having to rely on their great magic control in order to better adapt to any situation that may present itself when they use the magic. Another risk to this is that when the user's shield breaks, the energy is released back into the air, leaving the user unable to use it again until they reabsorb the raw Eternano back into their body.
- The character pic is based off of Terra from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
- Don will be Phantombeast's first attempt at making a harem
- Despite his unusual clothing, Don is said to be the most agile of the team, making him one very tough opponent to beat.
- Per had given me the descriptions for his appearance and weapons, so credit goes to her on those parts
- Don often helps out small animals since he feels sad when he seems them alone and scared
- Flash assisted me with making some of the Kanji and Romaji