|S1 | S2|
|Alias||Phoenix Knight (不死鳥の騎士, Fushichō no Kishi)|
|Race||½ Magius, ½ Human|
|Age||27 (Innumerable biologically)|
|Team||Tsuruko Faction/Team Daybreak|
|Previous Partner||Alphonse Sejren|
|Base of Operations||Hargeon|
|Relatives||Tsuruko Sejren (biological daughter)|
Hikari Zanna (biological daughter)
Alphonse Sejren (husband; deceased)
|Education||Self-Taught (Very Advanced)|
|Powers and Abilities|
Shin Phoenix Driver
Arms Weapon: Phoenix Blade
|Soul Armour Name||Soul Armour Knight Phenex (神鎧纏最高戦士 (ソウル・アーマー・ナイト) ・不死鳥の騎士 (フェニックス), Sōru Āmā Naito Fenikkusu lit. God Armour Clad Supreme Warrior Phoenix Knight)|
|Phenex | Magius Form|
- "Yes, I did make the first homunculi. All it required was a cocktail of dangerous experimental surgery and a willingness to ignore the unnecessary suffering of perfectly innocent beings. Also, I shot magic into his chromosomes until they turned inside out. Evolution is my bitch."
- — Giselle Mercury, on her exploits
Giselle Mercury (ジセル・マーキュリー, Jiseru Mākyurī) is a character debuting in Daybreak Chapter: A Change of Perspective; and one of the first humans to exist. Giselle is a major character in the mythos of the universe, and could count as the major benevolent force of the series. Studying the past she managed to develop Magitek, Lacrima, and the Driver Belts from the Core Driver which revolutionized the world as it is.
Giselle was involved with the Human-God Project; the same project that created the homunculus race; and most importantly, Crux Kouga and Vivian Starrkewolfe. She had used her own cells in order to create Vivian but didn't do the same for Crux. Giselle's complex and mysterious past, revealed in pieces during the story, directly ties into the stories of Vivian and Crux, and helps set the stage for the story's events. In a sense, Giselle is the main protagonist of Daybreak; as the whole series is her trying to fix the disaster she caused.
Giselle also has a secret identity; that of the Phoenix Knight (不死鳥の騎士, Fushichō no Kishi); also known as the Golden Wizard (金の魔法使い, Kin no Mahōtsukai), who is an enigmatic, white-robed magician that gave Tsuruko the means to utilize her magic. She also sometimes helps and oversees Tsuruko's evolution from a distance. As it turns out, Giselle is Tsuruko's mother, as they were split during the incident where Alphonse Sejren died. Despite her usual bluster, Giselle is arguably the strongest character in the Sun Trilogy that's from the current universe, tying with her brother. Before she became involved with the Magic Council, Giselle was a particle physicist at Kirimine University (霧峰大学, Kirimine Daigaku).
Giselle's appearance is that of a beautiful young adult; with an almost perfect figure and pale skin who seems to be in her 20’s. She has long unkempt bluish gray hair which is tied into a right-side ponytail and blue eyes which seems to be always sleepy. She wears a pair of glasses and her breasts are noticeably large. Her most distinct feature is the pair of black circles beneath her eyes. She will only wear her glasses on occasions where she needs to think hard.
During her duty as a scientist, she wears the Magic Council's uniform while casually, she wears long white lab coat over pink shirt with a rather low V-neck collar, purple miniskirt, a pair of black stockings, and a pair of blue teddy bear-headed slippers. She also wears a small ring on her necklace.
Personality and Traits
- "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end you just get tired of everything. Another century come to pass, but I've... I've had to see my friends and loved ones die off through the years... my husband...And you Tsuruko, my daughter... you'll die too, and my curse is knowing that I'll be there to see it. It's my atonement you see; it's my punishment, for being born from the exalt. You'll be gone like all the others. I'll have to stay. If you live long enough, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone. It hurts so much to see friends die while I never get a day older. I'm trapped down here on the earth, when all those I've loved are way up in the sky. So far way, beyond my reach... I wonder if they ever look down at me too."
- — Giselle Mercury, to Tsuruko Sejren, on her peculiar aging
Giselle acts too logically and lacks common sense, a result of her years being a researcher as well as her millennia spent alone thanks to her curse. She appears almost ice-cold and quiet; her quietness is not due to a lack of self-confidence however; it is because she does not fear anything; in fact, death is afraid of her. She has a "no-nonsense" attitude, and follows through with her goals with unexpected determination, putting said order before anything else. Giselle is normally bitter and apathetic towards other people, disliking "humans" so to speak. Dark and brooding over her past experiences, Giselle conceals many secrets. She speaks in a cryptic manner, when she talks about her past, calling it her 'sin'. Despite her cold hearted personality, she is not uncaring; at a point where Tsuruko admits she thought Giselle does not care about the people under her charge, Giselle brushes off the remark. As a scientist with an IQ of over 400, Giselle also has a sense of superiority over those less "clever" than she is.
Giselle often misinterprets what others say and takes some things literally; this usually results in others becoming briefly alienated and Giselle feeling ashamed for her horrible social skills, which she constantly attempts to improve so that she can feel the same as everyone else. Despite her reputation of a skilled Chessmaster, Giselle does indeed care about the individuals she aids and others, never thinking of them as tools to further her goal, evident by the fact that she continued to warn Tsuruko about the side effects of the Survive Ring before taking it away from her, making sure that she wouldn't hurt herself from overuse of the ring. Giselle herself seems to have problems entering combat, telling Tsuruko that she "isn't much of a fighting person", and prefers to work on the sidelines. She has great capacity for righteous anger, particularly when incensed about her race. When driven by anger or justice, Giselle more often than not acts without hesitation to strike down those who oppose her; however, when blinded by anger, she acts without thinking, focusing on naught but revenge.
Behind her usual attitude, is a very old woman that has lived since the beginning of time who has seen, and perhaps done, many, many terrible things; being incredibly bitter about the curse of her peculiar age; feeling incredibly lonely about it as she would outlive anyone that she formed an attachment with; this is the reason why she refuses to open up to others. However, despite her attempts to keep to herself, over time, she comes to admit that even though she acted like a lonely old lady, she had the biggest family in the world—all of Team Daybreak is her family, and if anyone were to threaten their lives, she would end them in an instant. However, Giselle has a very hard time accepting defeat or failure. Having seen so much destruction and death, she feels she is driven to prevent it where possible; and does so by taking on another persona as she believes she isn't suited to do good.
Originally, having difficulty with children, her experiences after becoming a teacher to each of the homunculus change this. The only people she is kind and considerate to are her "children", whom she is fiercely loyal to, willing to make the Magic Council her enemy, make use of weak mages, as well as willingly cause destructive phenomena for their sake. However, she feels an enormous amount of guilt for being forced to leave a young Crux with the other scientists, who made him into the monster he is today. To this end, she would even assist Tsuruko in order to atone for her past mistakes. The bags under her eyes are a direct consequence of her intense dedication to her work as a researcher and the lack of sleep. Amusingly, despite her stern personality traits she oddly seems to have a subconscious affinity towards childish things, as evidenced by the Kamen Rider-esque armour designs that the Super Soul Rings project and her childish sleeping attire (a matching top and bottom pajama set with an zebra-striped with fuzzy puppy slippers). She also apparently has a bit of a sweet tooth.
In order to lead a double life, Giselle plays upon her non-combatant status by running away whenever she sees a foe that Tsuruko or the others cannot defeat, should she need to fight the monster personally. Though her cover serves her well, she is actually not much of an actor and often lets her principles or her smarts take priority over maintaining the fact that the Phoenix Knight and Giselle Mercury are two different people; and as such on occasions when push comes to shove, bits of both personalities reveal themselves in the other guise. Other than her true character, she is also forced to hide her martial arts prowess and immense magic under a constructed form of cowardice, running away in "fright" in order to find a private place to transform into the Phoenix Knight.
As the Phoenix Knight, Giselle enjoys fighting, shown when she sometimes doesn't fight at her full potential so she can toy with her opponent or make a fight last longer. At times, Giselle gets bored with fighting weak opponents and finds entertainment in fighting strong opponents who will give her a challenge. Giselle's enjoyment of fighting was reflected in her dialogue with Psyga during which she asked him if he agreed with her that a fight every now and then makes life more interesting. Giselle can be serious when the situation calls for it, but she still maintains a fairly laid-back demeanor during such situations and is never without a witty taunt or comeback. It is amusing to note that even though Giselle does mature as time goes by, but never really loses her attitude. Even despite her seriousness, Giselle show off as, on several occasions, she performs exaggerated and over-the-top moves.
As it turns out, Giselle is not a Lunarian at all—Giselle was a former demon that The Exalted One created, but when The Exalted One first attacked Earth Land ages ago, Giselle betrayed them and joined the mythical beasts and Lunarians to defeat and seal The Exalted One's heart with the power of the True Phoenix Driver which enabled her to become the Phoenix Knight.
65,000,000 years ago, The Exalted One arrived, and Giselle assembled the Spirit Warriors to defend Earth Land. The Exalted One was defeated, but this resulted in the extinction of the Lunarians and the start of the ice age. Giselle was critically wounded and unable to fight at the best of her abilities ever again, and only the power of the phoenix symbiote kept her alive. 1500 years ago, The Exalted One rose again, she was defeated once again, but at the cost of Yggdrasil; 500 years ago, The Exalted One rose once more and was defeated once again, but at the cost of E turning into Vritra and setting the whole plot into motion.
400 years ago, Varian was damaged to the point that she had to rest in a volcano for hundreds of years. The army Giselle allied herself with was all but completely wiped out by The Exalted One, including their lord. Giselle was captured and about to be executed before Zanma Zaitsuhara, a good friend of hers, charged in and was sealed inside the body of Libra due to his own rage regarding the situation, but Giselle believed him to be dead. Giselle took this action especially personal, blaming herself for the tragedy—soon after, she hid herself from the world, before resurfacing and playing herself as a regular human.
Little is known about Giselle's past; other than she is supposedly the only full-blooded Lunarian in existence—and she had donated her blood to a majority of the human race; this enabled them to utilize magic naturally; and thus, the mage boom was born. It should be noted that she had no interest in magic itself; going against her ancestors as she preferred science. Working at Kirimine University (霧峰大学, Kirimine Daigaku); she sought to make science an equal to magic. However, due to disclosed reasons, she was forced to leave; and being chased from science, she sought refuge in magic, even though she detested it so much.
As a researcher in the Advanced Education Department of the Magic Council, under the supervision of Guran Doma, Giselle was part of a team that researched how to gather fragments of deity-esque beings and implant them into artificially created fetuses; creating homunculi; she was even the creator of the first and seventh homunculi, giving the seventh subject her DNA. During her tenure with the project, Giselle was tasked by Doma to become a teacher for homunculi as she has a teaching license. During her time as an instructor to the children she first thought of them as a nuisance, however she eventually formed a bond with them, especially to Crux Kouga. Giselle treated Crux like a son, who was always happy and child-like. He would always look up to Giselle, even now calling her one of the smartest beings there is and even eating badly made food she cooked.
Over time, Giselle planned on escaping the Magic Council with Crux, but was unable to, thus forcing her to leave Crux behind with the people who forced him to undergo various experiments; deeply warping his psyche and causing his mind to shatter, transforming into the unstable mess that he is currently. The experiments she had partaken in eventually helped in the improvisation of the Crystallized Mage Essence and the Body Clear, a drug that can be used to surpass a magician's limits. Realizing that she had done so much damage, she wished to atone for making Crux a monster.
Alphonse Sejren, was a research subject of the Zodiac Knights. They were trying to create a symbiote inside his body. When her mother, Giselle Mercury learned of the Zodiac Knights' plan to create an Demon Impact, she attacked them and descended upon this land, where she met Alphonse. After meeting him, she realized that she couldn't defeat the Zodiac Knights by herself. She began to search for a way for somebody to harness the power to destroy demons to put an end to the Zodiac Knights, the Dust to Dust Ancient Spell. Soon after, Alphonse and Giselle fell in love and eloped; their love soon gave birth to Tsuruko. They lived happily, until one day.
Alphonse and Giselle were pursued by an unknown assailant. They traveled from place to place, and when Tsuruko was born, with her as well, but they were finally caught by the assassin. When Tsuruko was born, she was gravely ill; the reason for that, is during her birth, Alphonse's symbiote, Star Phoenix, transferred from him into Tsuruko. Tsuruko had an incurable disease that science couldn't fix; Giselle tried so hard to save her daughter; but in the end, she could only resort to an option that crushed her; she had to convert Tsuruko into a Kaizorg in order to stop the disease from progressing. As Tsuruko's flesh and bone converted to Orichalcum, Giselle regretted her next options ever since: she converted the Dust to Dust Ancient Spell into data, storing it on a disk called the Laplace Program, and installed it into Tsuruko's body, so that she would be able to activate Dust to Dust whenever she felt a strong emotion. But because of that, she was hunted by the Magic Council as well as the Zodiac Knights.
Alphonse was turned into a monster as the assassin tried to fight Giselle; the lack of symbiote inside of him caused the magical power inside of him to go out of control, and he turned into a demon. When it tried to devour Tsuruko, Giselle had no choice but to use the True Phoenix Driver to become the Phoenix Knight; and Alphonse tried to devour her, Giselle fought him until he regained control of himself, no matter how momentarily it was; but he asked Giselle to kill him. After that, the assassin attacked, then Tsuruko fell down the cliff along with the Phoenix Driver that Giselle created for Tsuruko. Giselle fought off their attacker, and descended the cliff, but all that was left were the symbiote corpses, half-eaten by monsters; believing that there was no way that Tsuruko would have survived, she despaired and left the vicinity; falling into despair.
As the Phoenix Knight, Giselle first appeared in the aftermath of the sacrificial ritual performed on the day of a solar eclipse, where many humans were forced into despair and sacrificed, giving birth to symbiotes. Saving Tsuruko Sejren from a demon, the Phoenix Knight entrusts the Laser Ring to her as well as the Phoenix Driver to fight the demons.
True Phoenix Driver (真・フェニックス・ドライバー, Shin Fenikkusu Doraibā): The True Phoenix Driver is a tricked-out crimson belt which has a phoenix-shaped belt buckle—the phoenix symbol has a flashing golden symbol in the middle, which Giselle uses to scan her rings. On the side, there is a lever which Giselle can pull in order to bolster the power of her very next attack significantly. It is the mystical device that enables Giselle to unlock the powers of the Super Soul Rings, allowing her to perform various magical abilities. By wearing a Transformation Ring on her left hand and swinging it across the belt buckle after activating the Driver; the True Phoenix Driver will authorize the usage of the Super Soul Ring, thus giving it even more power; enabling her to utilize their full potential. If a Super Soul Ring is scanned by a wearer whose magical energy was either misused or lost, the True Phoenix Driver will announce "Error" (エラー, Erā), meaning it will not be granted. In order to utilize her strongest attacks, Giselle makes sure that she is wielding a specific combination of Super Soul Rings or she is in a different form, before pushing the lever on the side of the belt down—this causes magical energy to flow into her body which the True Phoenix Driver has gathered from the environment. Once the magical energy has been condensed, Giselle must quickly expel it in the form of her finishing attack known as a Giga Scan (ギガスキャン, Giga Sukyan); otherwise, it will overload her body. As the Phoenix Knight, Giselle wears a Phoenix Driver which is identical to Tsuruko's except for the red trim around the symbol as opposed to gold, the voice tone more deeper than Tsuruko's Phoenix Driver, the fingers having points on them, and a black strap & accents instead of silver.White Swan: Dragsilver (白鵠・ドラグシルバー, Byakkō: Doragushirubā): Dragsilver is a powerful gunblade (ガンブレード, Ganburēdo); it is the prototype to all gunblades; however, its mechanisms are far less refined. In fact, Dragsilver is merely a sword with a revolver chamber, which serves as the hilt for the blade. Dragsilver is classified as an enormous broadsword; from tip to handle, it is approximately five to six feet long, with a single-edged, enormous blade approximately one foot wide. It sports a bolted steel base and blade, and there are two holes on the blade near the hilt; possessing winged motif etched upon it, which is tinted a shade of gold. Dragsilver is white with engraved marks on it, a prominent sharpened edge and the slots are equipped with a latch cover. Standing from the tip of the blade, the gunblade is nearly as tall as Giselle, surpassing the latter's height by just a few centimeters; as of the current time, the sword is wrapped in bandages. Like the other weapons in the series, Dragsilver has a designation; that of the True High Velocity Sword Gun (真・高速剣銃, Shin Kōsokukenjū). Essentially, the gunblade is exactly what it says on the tin. The weapon is an ingenious integration of sword and firearm into a single instrument for killing purposes. Despite its name it cannot be used as an actual gun as Giselle was taking too long to perfectly integrate the gun portion of the weapon into the sword and just decided to do something else with it so she could still leap into the Dragon Civil War and save people instead of tinkering around with the damn thing, meaning that the gunblade does not fire projectiles, and can therefore only be used in melee combat, making it more like a gun supplementing a sword than a blade supplementing a firearm, e.g. a bayonet on a rifle. The firing of the gunblade's rounds induces a tremor in the blade, causing it to deal additional damage to whatever it strikes. When attacking Giselle uses the recoil from a triggered round to drive the blade back after attacking and quickly move into position for a second attack, allowing her to use powerful multi-hit combos that hit several times in rapid succession. As the very first gunblade to be developed- home-made by Giselle too- Dragsilver is the prototype and the precursor to Tsuruko's Dragredder; in fact, Tsuruko based the construction of her own gunblade on Dragsilver as she is a massive fan of the Phoenix Knight- though this was before she discovered her relation to Phoenix Knight. Not only this, given its ability of firing a round internally into the blade to make it vibrate at incredible frequencies, it can also be said to be the prototype to the High-Frequency Blade. It is mentioned that because of how the gunblade is used in order to achieve optimal performance, the weapon is considered an old-fashioned and notoriously difficult weapon to use in comparison to regular swords. Dragsilver as a whole pays homage to the white swan; a creature symbolic of Giselle's past. However, being the prototype of all gunblades in the Sun Trilogy, it had a number of major flaws; one obviously being that to switch modes, the weapon needed a few seconds to induce the high-vibrations —and as anyone who has had to fight for their life can explain, a split second can literally mean the difference between surviving or dying. Another was because of the unique integration of the gun within the sword, as it was literally within the weapon, Giselle is required to load the bullets manually instead of them coming pre-loaded; there was no attachment to store them in on Dragsilver, so she needs to carry a case of bullets with her at all times. While seemingly unimpressive compared to Dragredder, it should be noted and remembered that the Dragsilver was the weapon that inspired a revolutionary change in weapon forging—after its creation, when Giselle made her name known, people all around Earth Land attempted to replicate the mode change function of the Dragsilver, and it created an era of dual-mode weaponry. The damage Dragsilver deals depends on Giselle's current magical power in relation to her maximum magical power; the higher it is, the greater the damage dealt. The aura around the blade changes colours depending on Giselle's magical power, from a dark blue and purple when she has nearly expended it all, to a bright blue and white when she is in top shape.
Powers and Abilities
Ways of Combat
Master Swordsmanship Specialist: Giselle is known to be an incredibly talented master of the art of swordfighting; though she has a rather "boring" fighting style according to Jonas when Tsuruko asked him how Giselle fights as she'd never seen her mother in battle before. In a setting where most characters have all sorts of flashy powers ranging from being capable of reducing everything to zero while being able to destroy dimensions through overwhelming firepower, doing damn near anything with psychic powers, transforming into a demonic knight and shooting arrows of light, manipulating all forms of water and freezing things to the point that time can be stopped, summoning infinite amounts of swords and transforming into demons, generating a miniature sun, or breaking the laws of physics through sheer willpower alone in general, Giselle is simply...patient and has a sword that can turn into a gun. Even so, Giselle is one of the strongest beings in the series on nothing but skill and strength alone. Giselle fights in a highly defensive manner no matter the immediate circumstances, being incredibly patient with her enemies while utilizing patented methods of defense to avoid and block her opponent's attacks, waiting for her opponent to slip up in order to pay them back a hundredfold for any damage they may attempt to cause her; indeed, she is consistently capable of fending off an attack like it was nothing, absorbing the kinetic energy of an opponent's attack and fueling it into her next counterattack; while she can move at near-light speeds to take an opponent by surprise, she prefers to instead wait for her opponent to make a mistake or telegraph their moves and counter them with her God-Slasher Glyph, a Magic Seal that enables her to repel enemy attacks and allow her to effectively counter advances towards her, and her various sword strikes thanks to the length of her gunblade.
Despite the general problems Giselle has with her father and her family in general, Jonas' words, "a weapon is a tool meant to defend the weak—and yourself. It's never to be used in anger, never in vengeance" are something that she holds close to her heart; this led to her developing an almost completely defensive style of swordsmanship known as the Empty Air Array Style (虚空陣流, Kokūjin-ryū); named after her fear of the moon as a child. When in battle, Giselle more often than not relies upon her tight swordsmanship maneuvering and liberal application of her God-Slasher Glyph in order to enforce a maximum defensive coverage upon herself, minimizing her exposure to opposing attacks; in essence, her fighting style is the embodiment of her father's beliefs regarding weaponry, something that she began to claim as her own. Her stance is one of holding her gunblade right in front of her body with the blade aligned straight before her, the tip point slightly at an angle as she faces forward with her knees crouched. This enables Giselle to deflect all sorts of attacks with her large blade while stationary; solely because of this stance, Giselle is quite adept at blocking. Because Giselle is so patient when in the heat of battle, this allows her to focus her supernatural energies upon her gunblade easier with no excess energies wasted, granting her weapon a rather significant boost in power which, whether Dragsilver is being harnessed to deal clean strikes or counter-strikes, can deal truly phenomenal amounts of damage no matter what type of strike that she unleashes upon her opponent.
Indeed, her Empty Air Array Style is incredibly reliant upon the fact that Giselle wastes no time with unnecessary movements such as stupid combat rolls, keeping the energy utilized in the swing of her weapon efficient, moving her sword to strike when an opening reveals itself in order to build up momentum and minimize the expenditure of her energy. When in the heat of battle, Giselle focuses upon strong defensive maneuvers to the point that she seemingly creates a near three-hundred-and-sixty degree defensive barrier around herself, while expending very little energy in order to outlast her enemy, waiting for the exact moments where they begin to slip up due to a number of various factors, unrelated or not, before utilizing these lapses in order to launch a spectacular counterattack. This allows her to overcome the rapidity with which many of her adversaries attack, minimizing her body's exposure. Due to her highly defensive fighting style, she is considered almost Indestructible as the name suggests, and the focus on long-term survival allows her to be effective against both single enemies and a multitude of opponents. She seems supremely confident in combat, immobilizing an enemy for a moment to calmly assess the battlefield and other enemies before destroying her current target; lastly, her fighting style enables Giselle to be extra observant and she is capable of learning as much as possible about the techniques of her opponent while in combat.
Giselle is more than capable of using her keen eye order to grant herself flawless precision and to inflict lethal attacks without much effort. Thanks to her expertise, Giselle has great range on her attacks, which can give her enemies great difficulty when trying to get in on her. Because of Giselle's sword skills, her sword is considered to be an invincible wall; that will deflect any and all attacks aimed at her while giving her a distinct advantage- indeed, she gains ten edeas of energy per every successful perfect defense she makes to nullify an opponent's attack. Interestingly, Giselle is capable of instantly forcing a knee-jerk reaction in her body to cancel any action that she is about to undertake, allowing her to take another action in its stead, enabling her to unleash unique combos and all sorts of set-ups; thanks to her sword being an invisible wall, her swings can and will automatically guard and cut down any projectiles launched towards her during their start-up casting motion; giving Giselle ten Edeas per projectile that she successfully guards herself against. The user of Empty Air Array can attack largely with impunity in the distance between their opponent's maximum melee reach and the end of their own sword. If the opponent isn't careful, they'll be on the receiving end of a powerful combo. Something to note, when harnessing the power of her gunblade, Giselle cannot trigger rounds manually. Instead, the mechanism is incorporated as part of her attack style, as when attacking, Giselle uses the recoil from a triggered round to drive the blade back after attacking and quickly move into position for a second attack, allowing her to use powerful multi-hit combos that hit several times in rapid succession as the recoil of the shot pushes the blade back, where Giselle immediately thrusts again, repeating the process several more times. Because of the way Dragsilver is used to achieve optimal performance, the weapon is considered an old-fashioned and difficult weapon to use in comparison to regular swords.
Despite not really focusing on it, Giselle's attacking power is simply overwhelming—capable of ripping up the ground with every strike, while simultaneously being faster than the eye could register her movements. Giselle can slice multiple enemies with her weapon from the ground or in the air through a whirling attack. She can grapple other opponents or objects from medium range, bringing them into melee distance. Her swings, thanks to her great physical strength, have the potential to split the very earth with each swing, bringing mass devastation to every direction that the weapon lands; meaning that it often spells the end for her enemy once she begins to counterattack; her counterattacks slice away at multiple opponents with blurring speed and accurately slashing upon close- and long-range targets. She appears to be extremely quick to begin with, but her already high agility is further increased by utilizing her weapon's recoil; she can cleave through both armoured knights and their vehicles with ease; her weapon can slice through regular weapons and armour in a single slash. Given that the Phenex Soul Armour appears more samurai-esque than the others, not only is her reactionary fighting style perfectly suited to this motif, it also helps emphasize that Giselle is easily one of the stronger characters in the Sun Trilogy and the one who ended not just the Dragon Civil War, but also the Human-Demon War- being capable of performing such a miraculous feat would definitely require her to be supremely skilled, and indeed, Giselle such a good fighter than she can see the attacks of her enemies coming a mile away. With her Empty Air Array fighting style, Giselle can attack largely with impunity in the distance between her opponent's maximum melee reach and the end of her own sword. If the opponent isn't careful, they'll be on the receiving end of a powerful combo. Because of this, it's become apparent that with Giselle's fighting style, the best offense is an ass-kicking defense.
- Empty Air Array Style: God-Slasher (虚空陣流・斬神, Kokūjin-ryū: Zanshin): The Empty Air Array Style: God-Slasher is a powerful sword technique that is closely associated with, well, the Empty Air Array Style- effectively, it enables Giselle to project a circular glyph of energy that absorbs hits and allows Giselle to counterattack; it is a multi-purpose countering maneuver with both offensive and defensive properties, but it won't start until the enemy attempts to hit her first. In any case, when performing Empty Air Array Style: God-Slasher, Giselle focuses her energies into one of her hands- preferably the hand which isn't holding her gunblade, before she projects the energies outwards in a singular pulse- her energies instantaneously react with the eternano ambient within the atmosphere, resulting in the instant formation of a circular Magic Seal that is mainly azurite on the inside, with the lining of the sigil being dark purple in texture. When this glyph is projected before Giselle, if the opponent makes the grave mistake of attempting to break through, its special ability and near-invincibility will make itself known- upon contact with an enemy's attack, the Empty Air Array Style: God-Slasher seal will instantly negate the kinetic energy transferred through the opponent's blow, absorbing the shock of an impact and reduce the effect it would have on Giselle's frame to nothingness, reducing the kinetic force of the strike, no matter how powerful, down to zero, before storing that transferred power for the briefest of moments- during this time, Giselle can reverse the force of the opponent's strike with various attacks of her own by repelling the blow of her opponent and enabling her to effectively any type of advance made towards her by a vicious counterattack that possesses not only Giselle's own massive attack power, but her counter-strike is bolstered further by the kinetic energy of the enemy's negated attack being added to Giselle's current blow, unleashing a god-speed and incomprehensibly powerful retaliating strike with her gunblade with the enemy unable to defend against the oncoming strike thanks to the deflection leaving the foe open. It should be taken into consideration that as a slight downside, Empty Air Array Style: God Slasher has quite a small active window of a measly five seconds, so it must be timed right in order to activate it; however, thanks to Giselle's keen eyesight, she has no problem getting every activation of God-Slasher perfectly right, while playing poke with her gunblade's long reach and waiting for the chance to unleash the power. However, in some cases, Empty Air Array Style: God Slasher does not work against techniques that are meant to temporarily immobilize Giselle, such as binding-type spells like Bind Snake and grappling moves as well as throws. If used against projectiles, the counter will catch the projectile and the retaliatory attack will come out, but unless the opponent is near Giselle, the opponent will not be damaged. When Empty Air Array Style: God Slasher is harnessed upon a non-solid projectile-type technique, it results in the formation of a black hole-like vacuum sphere of red and black textures at the point of collision referred to as Sealing Devil Array (封魔陣, Fūmajin); this lasts for a short amount of time only, but negates all attacks from the opponent in the mean time. The sphere deals damage equal to the damage of the attack that created it and disappears immediately if the opponent touches it; though its durability increases drastically depending on various factors; for one, the durability of the barrier is proportional to the damage of the projectile that the God Slasher technique absorbed. This gives Giselle room needed to plan her next set of tactics before the barrier disappears; enhancing her defensive fighting style a hundredfold.
- Empty Air Array: Hurricane (虚空陣流・疾風, Kokūjin-ryū: Shippū): Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane, known in its first appearance as "Shining Onslaught" (炯然躍進, Keizen Yakushin), is a powerful sword technique that is closely associated with, well, the Empty Air Array Style- effectively, it enables Giselle to launch a wave of pure magical energy from her sword towards her opponents. In any case, when performing Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane, Giselle raises her gunblade overhead to give the appearance of her weapon piercing the heavens- from here, Giselle infuses her sword with her magical energy while condensing it to its utmost limit, converging at a singular point—the tip of the sword; intensifying the kinetic energy that is about to be released by convergence and acceleration. This process can take from about half a second to a full minute, depending on Giselle's preferences or the properties of the blade; the energy manifested by collecting magical energy, absorbing magical particles from an opponent or gathering magical particles, giving Giselle many ways to form this attack; however, each and every way of materializing this attack is functionally the same- she is capable of compressing even more of her magical energy upon his sword to achieve a higher level of power; the compressed magical energies take the form of a misty aurora of azurite that swirls around the sword's blade, with numerous particles scattering off into the winds. Glowing brighter than a sunny day or the sun itself, the sword heats up the very air when preparing Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane and people in the vicinity can feel dehydrated simply by being in its presence; indeed, the heat radiating off of Dragsilver can be directly compared to the hot summer winds- however, it will always retain its azurite shine. In any case, once the attack is ready to be unleashed, the energies which shroud Giselle's gunblade relocate to the tip of the blade, compressing for the briefest of moments as at the instant of the slash, Giselle swiftly releases the magical energy compressed upon the blade which magnifies the slash attack, unleashing it in the form of an enormous wave of pure magical energy that shoots forth, travelling across the ground like a shark's fin underground at astounding speeds- it does not possess any real form per-se, but rather, it's just a mass of energy that appears as if it was a large ray of pure azurite. The wave of energy released from the sword mows through the surface of the earth while in motion, and even if it is evaded, those close to the attack upon impact can be damaged by the sheer magical energy output of the blast. The immense amount of energy gallops towards the enemy like a stampede, roaring like a dragon as it accelerates towards the enemy, reaching over fifty kilometers as the mass of energy swirls like a maelstrom of azure energy, a typhoon of pure destruction that charges forward with all of its might- the sheer force of the swing causes the ground below Giselle to rupture and break into fissures. Upon impact, the wave causes a large explosion of energy with enough momentum to breach defenses; making it extremely powerful, ripping into the ground and incinerating an entire army of demon, scorching the very foundation of the earth, leaving naught but molten asphalt and burning away everything in sight, such as forests and rocks as it splits the skies; The power of Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane was strong enough to push Abyssion to the edge of space, destroying him in an explosion visible from the surface of the earth. . Even if it is evaded, it should be taken into consideration that the sheer amount of heat released by the swing can result in those unfortunate enough to be in close proximity to the attack being temporarily distracted by the intensity of the attack; the Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane can smash through several towers in one go, and its power, speed, blast area, force, and size of the attack is far beyond any other application of a magical projectile; to point of seriously harming a dragon, which are stated to be impossible to harm unless their opponent is a Dragon Slayer. Interestingly, alongside its astounding destructive power, has a delayed effect if the initial blast should fail, wherein the target will be blasted by residual effects left over by the beam. While not as overwhelming as the initial blast, the after-effect can catch foes off guard. Like the rest of her Empty Air Array Style sword techniques, Giselle can charge this attack up by compressing more and more magical energy into her blade and sacrificing a single orb from her Magatama Gauge- it is said that at the maximum level of charging, Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane will simply rend through anything and everything in its path no matter the composition or defense strength of that which it busts into pieces as it is effectively has become impossible to defend against. However, while Giselle is charging the technique, she is not protected nor does she gain an immunity to flinching, and as such, her opponent can just jump over it. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, if Giselle predicts the movements of her opponent, she can try releasing it at the exact moment the opponent's jump startup occurs. This move can still be canceled into other strikes as long as it hits or is blocked. Ironically, despite being a massive blast of energy, the projectile wave deals significantly less damage than the initial hit of the strike, but luckily the sword slash has great range as befitting Dragsilver's length, so typically both parts of the attack connect. The Empty Air Array Style: Hurricane requires about three seconds to travel a few ten thousand-kilometer distances, and Giselle can immediately fire the next attack after confirming a miss.
- Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind (虚空陣流・雪風, Kokūjin-ryū: Yukikaze): Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind is a powerful sword technique that is closely associated with, well, the Empty Air Array Style- effectively, it enables Giselle to project a larger God-Slasher that can do more, and after its dispersal, she uses the energies absorbed by the barrier to unleash a double-handed Battōjutsu attack which propels her forward while counterattacking. In any case, when performing Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind, Giselle focuses her energies into one of her hands- preferably the hand which isn't holding her gunblade, before she projects the energies outwards in a singular pulse- her energies instantaneously react with the eternano ambient within the atmosphere, resulting in the instant formation of a circular Magic Seal that is mainly azurite on the inside, with the lining of the sigil being dark purple in texture; unlike regular iterations of God-Slasher, the Snowy Wind version is not too noticeable, being somewhat smaller in comparison to the bog-standard variants- in fact, in the eyes of her adversary, the God-Slasher projected appears almost invisible if it weren't for the faint wisps of azurite and dark purple radiating off of the point of manifestation. The Snowy Wind version of God-Slasher is significantly more durable than other iterations of the repelling barrier, serving as powerful shield that can defend Giselle from even the most devastating of attacks depending on how much she focuses; it can also be used to damage enemies in close proximity to her when activated. However, as it is of a stronger constitution than a regular God-Slasher -which is mainly suited to negating an attack instantly before letting Giselle counterattack, if this barrier protects her from too many attacks in one use, or if Giselle attempts to reflect a strike of beyond godly power, it will shatter, like a normal defensive technique, and leave her stunned as well as open to the opponent's next attack. Activation of this version of God-Slasher makes it necessary for Giselle to provide slightly more than normal the magical energy to form the barrier due to its unique construction, and if it is overwhelmed, she will feel pain and receive damage in accordance. Giselle can also materialize it from a distance, allowing her to shield Tsuruko from one of Abyssion's attacks without either of them realizing it. But in any case, once the God-Slasher is about to burst, Giselle is capable of completing the process of Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind; the end result of the barrier projected by Giselle is naught but a feint, as she is expecting the opponent to attempt to counter her "attack". When the opponent falls for the bait and is stunned like normal as their strike finally shatters the God-Slasher, the field of energy will disperse the resultant force of an impact at the instant of receiving the attack as a concentrated explosion that knocks the enemy slightly upwards- from here, Giselle puts the kinetic energy of the numerous blows the God-Slasher has absorbed and transferred to herself into all of her next movements, dashing forth with shadows resembling ink surrounding her figure, turning her invisible for the briefest of moments as she accelerates upwards, producing a horizontal trail of shadowy flames when she reappears before the opponent -these trails are capable of burning the surroundings- but to complete the attack, Giselle puts the rest of the kinetic energy the God-Slasher had absorbed into a double-handed battōjutsu attack in a single stroke—the sudden swerving of the kinetic energy generated by the initial swing transfers into the double-handed strike, providing amazing, overwhelming power that destroys the atmosphere around her with ease. Once she begins the end part of Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind , Giselle is invincible against any damage during the invisibility portion of the technique. Snowy Wind can be performed while airborne as well, and as the length of the shadow-dash is fixed, it can also be used to extend the range of her aerial movements. Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind is capable of instantly countering medium and high-distance attacks; and when Giselle counters successfully with Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind, it "freezes" the opponent momentarily, removing all velocity from their attack and guaranteeing Giselle a critical hit. Likewise, if Giselle counters a magical or physical projectile, the counter works, but she is capable of still moving. The slash is un-blockable, so generally the enemy has to jump out of the way to avoid it. There is a faster version of Empty Air Array Style: Snowy Wind that activates when Giselle hits with it in the first second of countering and when Giselle reverses it.
- Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy (虚空陣流・奥義・夢幻, Kokūjin-ryū Ōgi: Mugen): Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy is a powerful sword technique that is closely associated with, well, the Empty Air Array Style; it is one of the two secret techniques of swordfighting style- effectively, when activating Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy, it increases the flow of energy within Giselle's body for a few moments, enabling her to perform sword techniques and maneuvers that she would normally be unable to do. When performing the Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy, Giselle mixes the the twin forces which usually form her power – magical and physical – also called life energy by some – into one destructive dual force that surpasses even dragons and gods; while this is done, her willpower causes a surge within her magic origin; the magical energy being constantly pumped into Giselle's limbs takes ahold of her limbs momentarily, and breaks down the stray magical energy within the immediate vicinity. From here, Giselle's magic origin absorbs the components of the magical energy, and begins to pump it into her own body until magical energy is scattering off of her limbs. At this point, Giselle is capable of controlling her body as if she was in a lucid dream, as the magical energy is directed by her willpower, essentially making her body a puppet to her own mind. The transition into Fantasy mode is indicated by Giselle gaining a soft white aura that flows from her body with particles of light fluttering from her head down, discharging into the environment and affecting everything that it comes into contact with by pushing all sorts of objects backwards gently; indeed, the intensity of the created aura is such that its appearance is akin to an aura of magical energy surrounding the body whenever utilized; complete with crackling lightning surrounding Giselle's body. Once Fantasy is activated, Giselle's magical and physical power enter a state of total sync, drastically increasing her powers; because her body is being controlled by her own thoughts, Giselle's speed and reflexes are drastically increased, allowing her to make split-second movements on a whim without any prior warning; she becomes far above any other magician in these fortes. In this state, Giselle perceives time much slower than any other fighter and the like; as it seems as if the world has slowed down to an eighth of its speed. As such, when Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy is active, Giselle is capable of slicing objects and unprotected enemies to pieces in a split second no matter what defenses they possess as everything before her blade is left completely vulnerable. Once Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy is activated, her magical power begins draining quickly, but while she still possesses magical power, the sky is effectively the limit as what she can and cannot do with her sword and movements are judged by her imagination. Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy enables Giselle to aim her blade at her foes more accurately, as it is a given that her strikes will rarely, if ever miss when harnessing this form. The drastically enhanced reflexes and speed enable Giselle to unleash powerful attacks near infinitely without limit which would normally be impossible due to the incredible reflexes and timing needed to show their full power, essentially giving Giselle costless attacks of all kinds at the cost of a rapidly depleting magical pool; and as such, it is recommended that Giselle only harnesses it for momentary bursts of power. However, with great strengths come great weaknesses- the might of Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy is lessened by the fact that since Giselle is controlling her own body in a similar manner to that of a puppeteer with their puppets, she may throw away any regard to anatomically possible movements and dislocate some of her limbs—even though her limbs are controlled by magical power when Fantasy is active, the body is still the same as it was previously, and as such, it still suffers the same limitations as normal. As such, if Giselle isn't careful, she could end up being unable to continue battle after Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Fantasy ends.
- Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil (虚空陣流・奥義・悪滅, Kokūjin-ryū Ōgi: Akumetsu): Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil is a powerful sword technique that is closely associated with, well, the Empty Air Array Style; it is one of the two secret techniques of swordfighting style- essentially, Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil involves Giselle performing a counter wit a crimson God-Slasher; if the opponent foolishly strikes the barrier, Giselle can unleash a single, impossibly fast and fatal sword strike that kills the enemy instantly. When performing Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil, Giselle waits for the enemy to approach upon her while making it appear as if she is not targeting her opponent; seemingly discarding any and all malice she holds towards the foe. During this time, Giselle listens for the enemy's heartbeat, focusing her hearing as to hear the enemy's breathing patterns as to assist her in anticipating the foe's next action. Once the foe gets close enough to Giselle, almost as if on instinct, Giselle focuses her energies into one of her hands- preferably the hand which isn't holding her gunblade, before she projects the energies outwards in a singular pulse- her energies instantaneously react with the eternano ambient within the atmosphere, resulting in the instant formation of a circular Magic Seal that, unlike other iterations of God-Slasher, is significantly larger, at least being as large as Giselle is tall, with a crimson texture- particles scatter off of the very existence of the forcefield like wisps of flame. The moment that the opponent falls for the bait, the kinetic energy generated by the foe's blow that lands upon the forcefield, the God-Slasher barrier absorbs the kinetic energy as usual; however, in the case of this ultimate strike, the barrier goes several steps further by negating and absorbing any potential force that the opponent can generate, transferring it to Giselle while the complete negation of the opponent's attack and the result of them having their physical force completely drained shocks the enemy. From here, Giselle uses the small opening of a few seconds formed through this action in order to unleash a single almighty godspeed slash that has no peer; it is a sidewards slash with unparalleled power; the motion of this swing is augmented by Giselle transferring the full force of her kinetic energy as if it were regarded as a mass through the blade and then through the atmosphere while the blade moves towards the opponent, attacking with a devastating blow that splits the threads of the enemy's future into innumerable pieces. The slash itself is the medium through which Giselle's energy travels, with the end result manifesting as a devastating wave of pure kinetic energy released in a focused shockwave that is capable of devastating and destroying her enemy in a single blow alongside the slash; busting through the opponents defenses with relative ease; destroying everything in its path in order to deal a large amount of damage in a single wide swath. Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil is a two-step move and, if its secret should be anticipated and the strike itself blocked or dodged, the second step comes immediately into effect. The immense force of the enhanced draw cuts the air in front of it and creates a powerful vacuum in its wake as the deflected air rushes back into place. This attack will defeat most enemies in a single hit as the sheer force and speed of the slash coupled with the shockwave unleashed by the swing more often than not results in truly astounding amounts of damage dealt which can render the enemy incapable of standing up again if not killing them outright- and no enemy is immune to this instant defeat condition, however, it more often than not, deals extremely high damage to them. Whether or not the Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil kills the enemy outright is determined by the amount of energy poured into the attack; meaning that if Giselle spends all of her power into the strike then it is a sure kill. When it kills the opponent, it seems as if the slash did absolutely zero damage at all; but moments later as Giselle walks ten feet away from them, the enemy realizes that Giselle has killed them as the cut only appears seconds after she has landed the attack successfully; then, they are bisected and their body slides apart before they are disintegrated through the sheer force of the blow with nothing remaining; the kinetic energy produced by the slash, after slicing through the opponent, erupts in a powerful surge of wind that even after the strike, it continues to rise, dissipating into the sky. As the ultimate technique of the Phoenix Knight, Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil was utilized to defeat and seal Origin, and Varian in differing time periods. It is known as the attack which brought peace not once, not twice, but thrice, in three different time periods; while Empty Air Array Style Secret Technique: Destruction of Evil is easily one of the most powerful attacks within the setting, capable of killing beings of unrivaled power effortlessly, it's a very impressive sight, but if the Giselle misses with the counter-timing, then she can't use the move; however, this is rarely a problem thanks to the sheer speed in which the initial slash is released, consistently surprising the opponent each and every time.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Giselle is a master of hand-to-hand combat, and her preferred way of striking seems to be punches, though she has often used kicks as well. Giselle is as deadly when utilizing hand-to-hand combat as she is when utilizing her sword, and her fighting style focuses on direct, brutal, unrestrained and powerful hand-to-hand combat, with heavy reliance on magical manipulation. In line with her nature and potent abilities, Giselle has adopted a fighting style where she fights her opponents using powerful blows, such as karate chops and roundhouse kicks, to which of her attacks have a significant amount of force behind them. Like her fighting style, Giselle, despite her overwhelming speed and strength, tends to be extremely patient in the heat of battle, waiting out the opponent's attacks while defending from numerous blows with just her deceptively powerful arms and legs, more often than not taking up a traditional boxing guard stance in order to defend while her opponent gets more and more exhausted. In combat, Giselle keeps her arms and stance steady like a rock; ever so patient as always; Giselle is capable of moving ever-so-subtly forward while opponents can only guess how she had reached them in a span of a second. Without sparing the enemy any time to properly react, her powerful arms extend at speeds beyond mortal comprehension, even to those with stupid magic eyes, her nimble forearms and fingers piercing and shattering rock and bone like they were a hot knife going through a giant damn tub of rich, creamy butter.
Giselle generally strikes with omnidirectional maneuvers in mind- smashing her opponents up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right,
B, A, Start; she tends to attack from impossible directions, leaving the opponent paranoid where they'd get conked in the head with her fists next. When in battle, Giselle makes most use of her powerful arms and fists to take on her foes, with her specialty lying in punching moves where she uses her fists to their fullest. In terms of fighting style, Giselle focuses specially on power, using strong and powerful punches, such as powerpacked jabs or piercing uppercuts, to deal damaging blows to her opponents. Once she catches an opponent in her combos, she keeps them trapped by keeping up her strikes, not allowing her opponents a chance to counterattack. For stronger strikes, Giselle tends to build up momentum with her fists by swinging them around, before hitting her opponent with full force. With every blow that Giselle unleashes, she deals tremendous internal damage to her foe by causing her attacks to impact upon the foe's pressure points at the exact angle, which allows her to assault their organs without fail—but outwardly, it seems that Giselle's physical attacks are unable to inflict any visible damage; but if Giselle strikes her foe hard enough, she can trigger a violent internal explosion. Because of her mastery of this art, Giselle is able to alter, affect, and even disrupt the flow of magical energy in the foe, via blunt attacks, sending her kinetic energy through her limbs and into the opponent's body, drastically weakening their joints and causing irregularities in their internal and external powers, essentially sending her own magical energy into them, and causing their magical energy to surrender to her; making her foe's attacks unable to deal any damage at all.
- Victorize Kick (
閃光魔術蹴り, Bikutāraizu Kikku lit. Flashing Magical Kick): Like her daughter, Giselle is capable of performing the Victorize Kick- which is normally a Limit Break for the Sejren Family's Soul Armours- while Giselle isn't a natural Sejren Family member, she did copy the move from Alphonse; the Victorize Kick is also Phenex's Limit Break. In order to initiate this attack, Giselle imbues her leg with her fighting spirit, while focusing even more power around her foot; this intensifies the leg, focusing so much power upon her limb that it begins to shine golden. From there, she harnesses her immense speed by kicking off the ground ten times in the blink of an eye –the first kick releases a small shockwave with special properties- in order to leap a good twenty feet or so into the air, passing through a series of light orbs where she subsequently moves faster and begins to emit sparkles. Then by descending, Giselle uses her speed to propel herself downward, giving off an explosive boost while descending at an angle at an overwhelming velocity—when in motion, she thrusts her leg forward, initiating a flying side kick as she pierces through the opponent, leaving trails of flame and light sparks in her wake. This attack promises absolute destruction, which is granted by causing friction with the hydrogen in the air by the sheer ferocity of the blow, generating a medium-sized explosion upon impact. The resulting power of the diving kick can crush the target and is particularly dangerous to magic users. It is capable of tearing through diamond and even through weak defenses; the fighting spirit infused in her leg allows her to smash and tear through thick enemy armour with little effort. Because of the sheer velocity of the move, Giselle's movements seem to cause fire to be released behind her figure during her descent; the impact of her body releasing a powerful shockwave of pure power that is capable of destroying everything in the vicinity for meter away from touch-down. However, there is a secret about the Victorize Kick—if the opponent is hit by the initial shockwave of Giselle charging her jump, then they will become stunned by falling down, leaving them vulnerable to the rest of the attack with no way to defend against it. The Victorize Kick has the uncanny ability to strike characters who are airborne, even magic users in elemental transformations, but it is rather difficult to actually hit an enemy with it and avoid being struck if the attack misses. Another unique property is that if the Victorize Kick ends with Giselle shooting towards a wall, she is capable of instantly bouncing off and gaining height, allowing her to attempt the attack again.
Immense Strength: Giselle possesses positively enormous amounts of physical strength, having been repeatedly shown capable of lifting and dragging around objects many times her own size and weight, most prominently due to her habit of carrying around a sword as large as she is tall. The fact that she is capable of swinging her sword one-handedly without any strain is a true testament to her titanic strength. In fact, she is so powerful, that she is capable of splitting the hydrogen in the air just by merely punching, allowing her to cause a small explosion that inflicts decent damage. Another feat of strength is that she can punch the ground with enough force to cause small fissures. Giselle is able to lift and press 200 metric tons, and she can perform other amazing feats such as punching holes right through thick steel, shatter boulders to smithereens and lift objects many times her own size and weight; a shocking display of fearsome power in itself. Her strength allows Giselle to create thin shockwaves of air that cleanly cut through anything they come in contact with. Furthermore; she shows the ability to pulverize large boulders and the like with a single strike using her finger, while others marvel at the level of strength she possesses. Giselle is able to further manipulate the energy stored inside her body well enough to the point of being capable of accumulating said energy into her fists, similar to how she is able to compress her eternano to form a stronger exterior as detailed below, thereby greatly enhancing her punches while also allowing her to create extremely powerful bursts of energy on impact; in which the dispersal of said energy through the ground can even create flaming shockwaves and gigantic firewalls. Her ability to create bursts of shockwaves is also heightened to the point of causing massive explosions around herself; in which it was strong enough to push debris out of her way while causing damage at a much wider range than before.
Tremendous Speed and Reflexes: Due to Giselle's fighting style focusing on naught but standing her ground, absorbing the kinetic force of attacks, and striking back at the right time, it is an all-too-common misconception that Giselle Mercury is what others would refer to as being "slow"; though while she does have a decent amount of swiftness behind her movements when she chooses to display it, her mobility skills do indeed pale in comparison to many of her targets and opponents, though it doesn't impair her much. Generally, Giselle stays in one place, and the only movements made are rather subtle ones in order to evade blows that she could not conceivably defend against by herself, serving as an "invincible wall"; as while she more often than not doesn't make any drastic movements, if anyone comes into contact with her in any capacity, then they would be defeated instantly. However, Giselle only moves in the heat of battle when she deems it necessary; meaning that her sudden bursts of speed can take opponents off-guard as she blitzes them instantly; she usually utilizes this to her advantage to surprise her enemies and strike them down immediately as they cannot react properly to such revolutionary speed, moving so tremendously swift that few would be likely to see an attack take place. Giselle can dash and propel herself in large distances through short bursts of energy expenditure, moving at supersonic speeds, even nearing that of hypersonic speeds, so swift that more often than not her opponents are unable to track her movements, merely appearing as a flash of jet-black energy that bursts through the air, she has also shown on several occasions that she can jump incredibly long distances, up to several hundred meters by applying speed to her jumps. She is capable of moving so fast that she can decapitate an entire army of foes without them even having time to react. She often only appears as a black shimmer of energy, with only the fastest foes even catching sight of her true figure during a battle. This incredible speed gives her an edge in battle against slower or close-range fighters. Excelling in hit-and-run tactics, Giselle has been shown to be able to evade many a combatant in both long and close-range; her movements are so tremendously swift that few would be likely to see an attack take place—this enables her to attack almost a multiple of ten times in a row per second. Not only that, but her movement is fluid and precise, and rarely will she exert effort in movements. Giselle can also fly for a short amount of time. Giselle possesses tremendous reflexes, agility and speed; which, despite her being severely battle worn, usually enables her to dodge many a powerful projectile while balancing herself on one hand. She is also able to skillfully and acrobatically dodge a barrage of blasts; even by performing a side jump, and if the foe knocks her off a building, she is able to launch herself off of a few small falling rocks back towards her foe with ease. Small and spry, Giselle is known for being highly flexible in battle- able to perform one-handed backflips, somersaults, and mid-air cartwheels with little effort in terms of physical strain. Giselle is also known for rolling around on the ground to evade foes' attacks, as well as being able to perform multiple spins and tricks in mid-air.
High Durability: Giselle can survive getting caught in the crossfire from all angles by heavy machinegun fire, and merely shrugs it off. She can take a lot of major punishment in battle before she starts to wear down. Even after receiving major damage, Giselle displays a remarkably fast recovery rate from damage, allowing her to quickly re-enter a battle after just a few moments; lastly, Giselle is perfectly capable of breaking free from any sort of spell or technique that threatens to bind and constrict her, preventing her from moving, making her all the more deadlier. Because her eternano could merge with her body parts and harden in response to physical trauma, Giselle has an enormous amount of durability. This makes her incredibly difficult to injure all while granting her extreme durability and strength. It activates by allowing Giselle's magical energy to influence the eternano in her body the moment that she is attacked; hardening her skin immensely to the point that her skin seems to be made from diamonds; this is represented by a faint pattern tracing the veins beneath the surface of her skin, which is only visible on the afflicted area when struck; it is on this pattern that the eternano condense on the veins, emitting a powerful repulsive force that instantly deflects the attack. With this automated defense, even attacks delivered by a Wizard Saint can potentially be negated completely. This defense can also be used to aid Giselle against critical wounds that have already been inflicted, able to stop the severe loss of blood that would be caused from said wound.
Immense Intelligence: Being a former scientist for the Magic Council, and the origin of the Human-God Project, Giselle is shown to be immensely intelligent. She possesses a perceptive eye and remarkable intuition. She possesses a genius that is rarely matched, and it is prevalent through her ways of fighting. While others were content simply to achieve the power, speed and technique of their regular magic, Giselle was interested in developing her own type of magic, creating a variety of techniques and abilities to suit her needs. However, Giselle's ability to discern even the most closely guarded of secrets is where her true prowess lies. Additionally, Giselle is a bit of a smooth talker, able to maneuver herself in favorable situations and coerce even the most resilient minds to comply with her words. Giselle is very polite, and soft-spoken, speaking in a very eloquent manner, even her opponents. She has a great talent for analyzing and observing everything in her presence, allowing her to quickly understand a person's pattern of thinking and better talk to them. She is well-versed in the history, strategy, tactics of the world, and is privy to knowledge previously unknown to many, such as knowing of the existence of a Dimensional Transferor, as well as the obscure method in which to make one. In battle, Giselle's preference is to concoct strategies based on deduction of her opponents' abilities and fighting style. Giselle has molded herself into a master strategist, tactician, and analyst. She is frequently the first person to point out or find a weakness in her opponent's abilities or fighting style and exploit them to her advantage. The weakness of this is that in her attempt to understand and come up with a way to defeat her opponent, she tends to go easy on her opponent at first and is often the most injured of the main characters. Nevertheless, her ability to think several steps before the enemy almost always ensures her victory.
Eternano Regeneration (
Intense Magical Power: As an existence which is half-Magius and half-Human, Giselle has a powerful and overwhelming magical power; as the sheer pressure of her magical power is capable of effortlessly surpassing that of any of the Ten Wizard Saint; indeed, it is said that her magical energies are completely beyond mortal comprehension. Her magical energy is so intense that its mere presence causes a darkening climate and a distortion of the surrounding environment; it is said to feel not like magical energy, but rather, something completely out of this world. Giselle is noted to be one of the most powerful magicians to ever live, if not the most powerful, as because of her origins as a Magius, she is in-tune with the essence of magic itself, even moreso than any Esper; indeed, she's capable of harnessing the Source of Magic even though it's located in the "Land of No Magic", a completely different dimension. Giselle's magical pressure has the secondary effect of drawing entire areas under its influence to the point of disrupting energy attacks from enemies, as well as affecting others from what is quite possibly miles away. As a Magius, Giselle's magic is considered "pure", and she can utilize her magical power in order to power those around her and herself, giving them an inexhaustible amount of magical power, and increasing all of their attributes twentyfold. Giselle was assigned the magician rank of SSS-Class, which means that her raw power output is truly immense, bordering a tactical nuclear device. This also means that a limiter is put upon her most of the time, lowering her rank to A and thus preventing inadvertent warping of the time-space continuum. Interestingly, as a Magius, Giselle is capable of harnessing the stray eternano in the atmosphere and manipulating it, merging it with her own magical power to utilize the energy as buffs of a sort; bolstering her speed, endurance, and strength whenever she wishes.
Unlike other magicians, Giselle's magical energy is invisible to the naked eye—any magic-inclined being is incapable of seeing it with their own two eyes unless she voluntarily shows them; such a phenomenon can be likened to "How an ant is incapable of doing anything about the human about to tread on them"; indeed, it's shown that Giselle's magical power is only capable of being rendered visible by somebody on a similar level of power. Her magical energy constantly interacts with the energy in the vicinity even when not in combat, changing their properties in a very minimal way. Her magical power can be simply regarded as immeasurable, that any individual that tries to sense the depths of her power will only find themselves lost in its vastness. In most of Giselle's battles, her magical energy manifests in the form of massive wings of white light, which have galaxies and stars imbued in them. The wings of light combined with Giselle's overwhelming power and presence creates a powerful psychological effect on those who see her. The wings can also be used as a defense mechanism. Magic originates from a Magic Origin (魔原, Magen), which is exactly what the wording indicates—it is a special organ that is located within the body of a magician, that absorbs eternano and bunches it up into clusters, which is processed into magical power. Every magician has a container inside their body that determines the limits of their Magic Power; this is precisely what a Magic Origin is. If the case becomes empty, eternano will come from the atmosphere and enters the magician's body and after a while, their Magic Power is restored. In the case of a Magius, the Magic Origin is continually absorbing magical energy and eternano without limit, even this absorbing property takes priority over 'lesser' magicians.
- Magic Skill: Eternano Haste (
内魔導・復魔力, Majikku Sukiru: Ēterunano Heisuto lit. Internalized Magic Arts: Magic Power Restoration): The Magic Skill known as Eternano Haste is a rather rare skill that only the most powerful of magicians are born with, or they develop later in life. However, firstly, as it has been discovered, some magicians, once they have mastered the art of magic, are capable of manipulating eternano, or just plain showing off unique ways to utilize magic, far beyond the norm. These skills are collectively known as Magic Skills ( 内魔導, Majikku Sukiru lit. Internalized Magic Arts) instead of magic proper; thanks to being simply a manipulation and extension of the basics, as opposed to using magic to create a new function entirely. In this case, while normally, eternano flows into the magician's Magic Origin from the atmosphere after their magical power has been expended. However, if the magician has access to Eternano Haste, then eternano will enter the magician's body much quicker; it works by converting half of the nearby eternano into magical power, which the user's Magic Origin absorbs, thereby cutting the cost of regular spells by half the amount, as the name suggests, enabling them to gather magical energy much faster than many other magicians who even use less magic; especially when they have been recently drained of power, allowing the user to get back to casting powerful spells easily, in addition to this, when they are half out of energy, the user's Magic Origin initiates a suction effect, absorbing any ambient eternano from the atmosphere and drawing it into the user's body, restoring their magical power. However, this can only be done five times per battle, as after that, the area will be devoid of eternano, rendering both magicians' magic effectively useless.
- Magical Aura (魔力の霊気 Maryoku no Reiki; lit. Aura of Magical Power): Magical Aura is a common term given to the exertion of magical energy into a form outside of the user's body that isn't used in the formation of spells. It has been demonstrated by various mages of varying potency, and is a common means of intimidation. A magical aura is created when the body's container of eternano particles exceeds the limits of what it contains, or is purposefully released by the user. Upon doing so, the magical energy surges around the body and is exerted outwards in the form of an aura, which holds considerable pressure surrounding it. Depending on the level of magical power one possesses and the control behind it, it can be used as a means to intimidate another individual, or as a preparation for a powerful spell. A single magical aura can have a wide variety of effects dependent on the power an individual exerts; Giselle's aura almost consumes her in its colour, leaving nothing but a phantom-like apparition to remain. It should also be noted that the aura is far wider, and is generally uncontrolled by Giselle. However, her aura isn't limited to intimidation, and can be used for the preparation of a spell. It is also worth noting that the pressure exhibited from such an aura can form a large column of energy, leaving the pressure enough to visibly cause strain on people even from a considerable distance away from the exertion of the aura, indicating at the sheer level of power within this aura. Her Magical Aura can be used to dominate the magical powers of others. Thanks to the sheer power of her aura, Giselle's magical power is capable of dominating the magical auras of those around her; such as knocking those with weak magical powers unconscious; she can pick out weak mages in a large group and knock them out without affecting those around them. However, those with stronger magical power can resist or even ignore the effects of Giselle's Magical Aura. The ability to knock someone out depends on the difference in strength between Giselle and the person or persons she is trying to knock out. The greater the power gap, the easier it is to knock the victim out. It seems that upon recovery, victims of Giselle's aura experience the sensation of chills running throughout their body. Giselle can activate this power in two ways; the first and most common way is in a quick burst that will knock out those with weaker magical powers relatively easily. The second method is to release her pressure continuously, which will not only knock out those of weak magical powers around Giselle, but also put pressure on the surroundings, actually affecting other physical objects besides living beings.
- Strength Limiter: Enchant Murakumo (
生連魔法禁伎・天叢雲魔力限定, Sutorengusu Rimittā: Enchanto Murakumo lit. Organic Link Magic Secret Art: Heavenly Autumn Clouds Magical Power Restriction): Enchant Murakumo is a Organic Link Magic (生連魔法, Seirenmahō) spell; which is a Caster Magic. Organic Link Magic revolves around the creation of links between people and Magics in various ways. The first way shown was an attack reversal of sorts, meaning if a person were to damage or destroy a specific target, then the person responsible would also receive the same amount of damage dealt as well. The second way this Magic is used is linking one's own Magic Power to an object in order to supply it with Magic Power. The last known usage of this Magic is for it to serve as a bind or a seal linking a group of magicians in order to seal away someone or something. As Giselle grew stronger and stronger during her numerous conflicts, she became afraid that eventually her body could not comfortably contain her strength and she eventually she would lose control, and Enchant Murakumo was developed to limit her actual strength as to allow Giselle to avoid killing anyone by accident. When the ability is in effect, Giselle gathers stray eternano within the atmosphere; condensing it upon her own body as to take it from her opponent or from any other source that she deems suitable, allowing Giselle to completely and utterly compress her eternano and magical aura; forging it upon her body as to prevent Giselle from killing anyone by a simple misfire. Indeed, it also enables Giselle to reach levels of physical and magical prowess most magicians would have their bodies give out at and cannot handle; however, this level of power is inferior to her true power—and it serves as a limiter of sorts, constantly dialing her power back to ten percent when fully sealed- despite this, Giselle is considered stronger than most other magicians, even those with Slayer Magic or Lost Magic as she can blitz through any opponent that stands in her way. The Strength Limiter is a method to ensure that she will not channel more magical energy than permitted, effectively reducing her power several levels. Interestingly, Giselle is constantly under a self-applied limiter; as her power of great magnitude endangers the fabric of the time-space; and in addition to that, if she were to go all-out on an opponent, it would mean that she could be capable of killing everyone that she faces in a single strike. The limiter also allows Giselle to retain her sanity; however, this comes at a cost of somewhere in the vicinity of ninety-percent of her power- but it should be remembered that Giselle's "weak" isn't everyone else's "weak". Alternatively, limiters are imposed as means of protection, to prevent Giselle from overstraining and damaging her body with magic; and her magic functions can be permanently locked and unlocked at will; meaning that if she is under a limiter, she is never fighting at full power. Given Giselle's already amazing battle skill and her ability to destroy dragons with minimal effort, her true potential can be rather frightening to consider.
Magic in General
Assorted Magic (魔法, Mahō): Magic is the main form of combat for magicians; it is the physical embodiment of the spirit. When the physical spirit of an organism connects with the spiritual flow of nature, the spirit forms Magic as a product of the connection. To utilize Magic, a magician must use Magic Power (魔力, Maryoku) in their body. Magic Power is the source of Power for all magicians, it is composed of Eternano (魔子 (エーテルナノ), Ēterunano lit. Magic Particles), which is the term coined to name particles of Magic. Eternano dwells inside all living organisms and throughout the atmosphere. Nobody knows when Magic began, or how Eternano originated; every magician has a container inside their body that determines the limits of their Magic Power. If the case becomes empty, Eternano will come from the atmosphere and enters the magician's body and after a while, their Magic Power is restored. Eternano has near-zero rest mass - though, like any particle, its mass increases to reflect its potential or kinetic energy - and can carry either a positive or negative charge. In order to cast spells, a magician derives the power necessary from two sources: their own body's Magic Origin (魔原, Magen), and the atmosphere. A Magic Origin is exactly what the wording indicates—it is a special organ that is located within the body of a magician, that absorbs eternano and bunches it up into clusters, which is processed into magical power.
Every magician has a container inside their body that determines the limits of their Magic Power; this is precisely what a Magic Origin is. If the case becomes empty, eternano will come from the atmosphere and enters the magician's body and after a while, their Magic Power is restored. It appears that the concept of using a proportion to the user's Magic Origin or the atmosphere is dependent entirely upon the magic used in question. With internal magic such as High Speed, one requires the use of their own magic far more than external magic such as Fire Magic, where they generally rely more on atmospherically magic. By collecting eternano and subsequently imbuing it with a certain 'command' through either an incantation, hand gesture or a simple spell name, allow it to then mysteriously take upon a characteristic unique to that spell. Interestingly, some magicians, if they are descended from unique families, have shown that they are capable of replenishing their eternano faster thanks to unique traits. However, recent studies have identified another, unused, part of a magician's magic container that contains a large amount of dormant power: the Second Origin. If a magician somehow manages to unlock their Second Origin, they will then receive an enormous boost in Magic Power, or they can wait until the right moment to unleash the Magic Power of their Second Origin in order to gain an advantage in the battle.
Due to her origins, Giselle has demonstrated the ability to use other magic, using her Magius blood to interpret spells in a way that she can understand, and repeating the breathing method, casting the spell. Being a developer of magic spells, Giselle knows a fair amount of experimental magic; she is an expert at developing new spells and new ways of using old spells, and an expert at delayed spells. Due to her natural magic, Giselle is capable of weaving spells together; and her magic is noticeably more stable than most others with magic abilities, and therefore it doesn't breakdown at all and is not easily deflected; it can be said that Giselle's spells are almost unstoppable. Giselle, due to her incredible skill, is able to cast spells up to the high #80's range without the need for an incantation without any loss of power. Well, it can be said that she didn't achieve it by herself, but the experiments performed upon her body in her early years enabled her to achieve this skill quicker than most. Because of her immense mastery of magic, Giselle can chain up to a maximum of fifteen spells together by applying her great mind and concentrating; focusing to her utmost limit—because of this connection, the special effect of the unleashed spells are sprung into activation instantly after the spell before it, or at the exact same time as one another. This enables Giselle to unleash attacks in swift succession and effortlessly overpower her opponents quickly.
- Slave Red (
特装目魔法・真紅の魔眼, Surēibu Reddo lit. Customized Eye Magic: Crimson Demon Eyes): Slave Red is an Eye Magic spell which enables Giselle to modify the opponent's thoughts and memories just by staring at her target and exerting a reasonable amount of pressure. In order to perform Slave Red, Giselle instantly sends the magical power dwelling inside of her Magic Origin into her eyeballs, causing the energies to interact with the ambient eternano saturated within the atmosphere, activating the spell as her eye colour becomes a burning crimson in texture, shining brilliantly as her pupils appear to change shape into that of a burning scarlet ember in Giselle's right eye—as the right eye serves as a fulcrum for Slave Red to be cast. Slave Red is a forbidden spell, akin to the likes of Abyss Break and the Black Arts; it was created centuries ago and then kept exclusive to Giselle Mercury due to the horrific nature of its workings. Slave Red allows Giselle to enter the opponent's mind and manipulate them by giving them false experiences, making it seem as if they were doing things of their own free will. It is regarded as a spell of the highest class, due to the victim being entirely unaware that they are being manipulated. The person on whom the spell has been cast cannot break the spell by themselves, so another person would have to break the spell for them. As a testament to its power, it is powerful enough to break Kagemusha's control over Vivian Starrkewolfe; in spite of the former's Human Subordination Magic being considered almost absolute. Upon activation, Giselle would give the order "protect the dearest to you" to whomever was affected by it. She intended this to be used on Crux Kouga, feeling immense shame for not being there for him as he was taken away from her via the other corrupt scientists, turning him into the monster he is today. The technique was instead used on Vivian; in the hopes that she would be able to get through to the Origin Fragment.
- Myriad Truths (幾万の真言 (マイリアッド・ トルッス), Mairiaddo Torussu lit. Many Myriad's True Words): Myriad Truths is an uncategorized spell; when performing it, Giselle releases her magical aura into the skies above; this creates various currents of hot and cold air masses and affects the moisture patterns; the hot air rises and cold descends. As this happens the air creates rotations in the atmosphere and move areas of moisture which creates weather; though it is focused at a singular point, held back by Giselle's masterful control over her magical aura and energy so that the freak change in the skies would not go out of control. This ability shows that Giselle is capable of controlling the base elements of a storm, such as rain, wind, thunder, ice, and snow; with this spell, she is capable of creating enormous raging storms, complete with thunder, gale-force winds and tornadoes, blizzards, tidal waves, and torrential rains in the immediate vicinity with the snap of her fingers. She can also create any of these phenomena individually. In addition, if Giselle activates Myriad Truths when weather is already out of control, she is capable of putting a halt to the weather, or rousing it even more. To a limited extent, Giselle is also capable of going beyond and defying what natural weather can do, such as creating a thunderstorm underwater- albeit with disastrous results. Giselle's ability to control and create storms extends to any and all storms as she has been shown to control and create powerful hurricanes in the upper atmosphere and so forth. Finally, as a last bonus, Giselle is capable of launching weather "effect" from her hands or blade—such as lightning, ice rays, solar flares, and hurricanes. Due to the mass devastation rained down by Myriad Truths and no possible way to control the destruction that it causes, Giselle prefers to rarely perform the spell, except for only within times of need.
- Extinguished Star (消滅の凍星（イクスティングイッシュ・スター), Ikusutinguisshu Sutā, lit. Frozen Star of Extinction): Extinguished Star is an extension of Giselle's Myriad Truths spell; when performing the Extinguished Star, Giselle releases her magical aura into the skies above—this creates a "pulse" of magical energy which manifests powerful upward air currents—the water vapor carried by the currents condenses, forming a dark purple cumulus cloud. The cloud then undergoes condensation— when condensation occurs, heat (latent heat/energy ) is released—but in this case, due to masterful injection of her magical aura, Extinguished Star releases freezing cold, which is shaped into the form of a multitude of lances composed entirely of ice that Giselle releases forward towards her target, launched forward in a similar manner to that of a rocket. These lances aim to impale the opponent with incredible speed and force. However, mid-flight, the lances veer off wildly in different directions, homing in on different targets in order to attempt to take out multiple opponents at once. When making contact with the opponent, the lances freeze them solid. The moment that the lances make contact with the foe via impaling them, the composition of the lances are altered to cause additional, smaller blades to protrude from the blade inside of the foe's body, drastically increasing the number of wounds dealt to the foe—these lock on to the target, tracking their heat signature. Extinguished Star is effective for quick, widespread, and massive amounts of damage, but it is very draining on Giselle's magical level. The lances themselves take the form of two thin light-blue beams with a pointy tip; one remains straight while the other coils around the straight beam. It is useful for quick, effective, and causing massive accumulations of damage to the foes.
- Archive (
古文書, Ākaibu lit. Ancient Documents): Archive is a Caster Magic involving the usage of Magic Databases. This Magic allows Giselle to convert information into Magical data, which can be stored, enabling her to gain access to previously stored information, such as other types of Magic. It is mainly used by flat-screens which are projected into the air. These screens are very durable and can be used as a shield. It also allows Giselle to transfer information from person to person more quickly than through verbal communication. With this, she is capable of coordinating the movements of her allies as well as knowing their present conditions and giving them new knowledge. As a result of this, as the commander of Team Daybreak, Giselle usually distances herself from the battlefield and acts as a command center of sorts, but is extremely capable of defending herself with other magic should the need arise. More often than not, Giselle uses Archive in order to relay information to Tsuruko or another member of her squad. Archive also allows Giselle to communicate with other people just using her mind. With this, she is able to establish contact with comrades even over considerable distances. The amount of people Giselle can connect with at one time all depends on her own Magical ability. Also, while connected with others, every one that is connected can talk with each other. However, she can only establish this connection to individuals that she knows, met, and is personally familiar with. Other users of Archive are also capable of intercepting the connection, by "jacking-in". In addition, Giselle can use her Magic to transfer some information into a person's mind. This is particularly useful in exploration missions, since Giselle can send information regarding miscellaneous data, such as the nearby surroundings, for instance, to her comrades, which they can perceive on a mental level as loading bars in buffering progress occurring within their mind that represents the images and symbols being downloaded into them in real time; with this, she can navigate allies on where to go by transferring "maps" into their heads. The data that she could transfer also includes, but probably not limited to, the knowledge on how to perform powerful spells and enchantments like Abyss Break. Unfortunately, bestowing such information to another person is not without drawbacks; it seems to induce a mental strain that lasts for the duration of the download. As such, Giselle claims that executing the skill based on the information she provides can only be used once.
Magic Seal Manipulation
Magic Seal Manipulation (魔法陣の操作, Mahōjin no Sōsa): Magic Seal Manipulation is a special utilization of a rudimentary skill of a magician that Giselle has forged for her own usage- are known to be the visible manifestation of Eternano being collected by a magician when casting a spell.
As a rule of thumb, spells of all shapes and sizes are accompanied by Magic Seals (魔法陣, Mahōjin); they are the visible manifestation of eternano being collected by a magician when casting a spell; they are also accompanied by powered-up states. More often than not, a Magic Seal is composed of intangible energy in the form of a proper circle, with concentric rings and squares inscribed in it; while gathering eternano to cast a spell, the Magic Seal spins at a varying velocity. Generally, depending on the amount of energy released, the circle may spin faster or slower; these seals usually appear only during the activation of the spell, but some stay during the duration of the spell- once the magician has completed the casting process of the magic, they immediately vanish into thin air, signifying that the spell is ready to be let loose upon their enemies. Generally, a Magic Seal is indicative of a magician's power, as more often than not, each magician has their own specially designed Magic Seal, forged through aspects of their character and fighting style- no two Magic Seals are the same, and the Magic Seal changes, in both colour and the symbol in the middle depending on the magic used; for example, when casting a Fire Magic spell, the user's Magic Seal will take upon a bright red hue and the symbol in the center will transform into the visage of a burning orange-red flame, the typical symbol of the fire element in many forms of media. Additionally, depending on the amount of magical energy required in order to cast the spell or the amount of times the spell is being cast at once, the Magic Seal projected outward will expand or shrink in size or multiply. Where Magic Seals come out usually depends on where the user's hand points to, though sometimes it appears from below or above the user; they can also be used as a shield from enemy attacks.
Over time, magicians have delved deeply into the Magic Seal phenomenon, learning the exact specifics and rulings of the seals which manifest while spellcasting in order to expand upon them and utilize Magic Seals in a far more practical way- this is done by the user skipping the "casting sequence" of their magic and projecting their magical energy outwards in order to manifest their Magic Seals in the form they'd usually be in when beginning to bring one of their spells into the current plane of existence. This has resulted in a massive boon for the magical community, as it has given them more nifty aspects of the arcane to test the limits of. Two examples of expanding upon what the Magic Seals are capable of are the Divine Authority Magic Seal Arts (天権の魔法陣伎, Tenken no Mahōjingi) refer to a series of Caster Magics which are derived from Sealing Magic in which its users perform different hand patterns to create different effects with Magic Seals, and the Numbers Layered Magic Seal Style (号重魔法陣流, Gōjūmahōjin-ryū) which involves the user bringing out Magic Seals of all sorts of properties in order to induce a wide variety of effects upon the opponent and the surroundings. When projected outwards in order to serve a purpose other than pretty spell effects, the Magic Seals come in many flavours- namely, there's an almost immeasurable amount of Magic Seals which can be generated, each which fall into several categories- however, every Magic Seal stems from two in particular, which are listed below.However, in regards to what Giselle herself can do with her Magic Seals, as one of three practitioners of the Mercury-style Magic Arts (マーキュリー流・魔導, Mākyurī-ryū Madō) in the four dimensions, Giselle's magical seals are a light shade of gold and the four points shows four phases of the moon; at the corners of each ring are the small Greek letters π (pi), δ (delta), ω (omega) and finally, ν (nu); this is pictured above. However, with her manipulation of magic seals, Giselle is capable of forming her magic seals in the atmosphere, enabling her to induce a wide variety of effects by utilizing her runes for all sorts of purposes other than casting a spell. When harnessing her magic in this way, Giselle is capable of skipping the "casting sequence" of her magic and projecting her magical energy outwards in order to manifest her magic seals in the form they'd usually be in when beginning to bring one of her spells into the current plane of existence- from here, Giselle is able to utilize her magic seals in a variety of ways; with each magic seal being defined into hundreds of subcategories, meaning that there is an almost unlimited amount of options at Giselle's disposal. More often than not, the magic seals that Giselle can project have a variety of effects on both sentient and non-sentient beings, up to and including buildings and the like. Where the magic seals manifest usually depends on where Giselle's hand points to, though sometimes it appears from below or above her body, and she is capable of casting the runes in mid-air; by jumping on them, she can use the effects of the summoned magic seals- more often than not, Giselle can cast a 'haste' magic seal in order to achieve a "double jump" of sorts, rocketing through the air once more.
However, with a complete dominance over her magical energies, she can manifest magic circles of different form, depending on the currently used system. When using her Magic Seal, any required circles, designs and written magical incantations appear glowing in the air the moment that Giselle wills it to; shining with the light of the moon as befitting the Mercury Family's affinity with the moon and light in general. Thanks to her experience, Giselle has expanded her mastery of her Magic Seal so that she can use it offensively or defensively; being utilized as a shield from enemy attacks, as well as a weapon by flinging the seal against the foe telekinetically—thus producing high velocity that smashes into the opponent, knocking them flying. Giselle employs this ability in various situations for various effects. Giselle has displayed the ability to harness Magic Seals which have illusionary properties upon her targets in order to set up far stronger attacks. The properties of her Magic Seals can range to being solid in order to serve as battering rams and stepping stones to simply energy-based in order to serve as a medium to fire elemental attacks and the like from the Magic Seals. Generally, Giselle can use her Magic Seals can temporarily boost her power and spells' area-of-effect to increase her already enormous reserves of strength tenfold, and she can boost her speed AND that of others with her Magic Seals; and she can attack from any range with several different elements while buffing everyone else.
The seal, no matter its type, is hard enough for blades of any and every kind to be unable to cut through it and thus Giselle can effectively defend herself against any attacks, even those coming from a magical cannon. She also uses this ability for destructive attacks, being able to heavily damage other Soul Armours, by hardening her fists or legs or by focusing it upon her weapon; by utilizing her Magic Seal in close combat in such a way, she also avoids hurting herself. Interestingly, she is capable of combining her Magic Seals with her other combat methods even without infusing them within her weaponry- for example, the Empty Air Array: God-Slasher seal is hewn from her mastery over Magic Seals. The only big weakness that Giselle's Magic Seal Manipulation power is known to have is that constant usage of it can tire her out relatively quickly, as she is constantly generating magical energies with the power. Overall, it would be best to describe Giselle's Magic Seal Manipulation as a 'jack of all trades' magic style when fully mastered, giving her not really exceptional power unless delving into the higher-ranked attacks, but exceptionally wide versatility when compared to a user of a single magic. However, as Giselle herself prefers practicality over flashiness as a contrast to her daughter and many others, she can effectively utilize her mastery over glyphs of magic in order to cover a wide range of potential outcomes in battle, enabling Giselle to perform almost any action depending on the situation.
- Elemental Glyph (
要素力・魔法陣, Erementaru Gurifu lit. Elemental Power Magic Seal): An Elemental Glyph, is, well, exactly what the name would indicate- it's a Magic Seal which can be manifested by a magician; each are the embodiment of the Four Fundamental Elements into the current plane of existence; the Elemental Glyphs are formed through moving, altering, and mixing existing elements or pulling eternano together and creating a single Magic Seal from many others, which is then laced with the user's element of choice, influenced into transforming into the element of the user's desire via the immediate surroundings and the user's own thoughts; each Elemental Glyph is a different colour, more often than not corresponding to the manifested element. While under technicality, due to the immense flexibility of the Magic Seal, the user is capable of inducing the replication of phenomena of the world such as volcanic eruptions and hurricanes, a power of such magnitude generally costs at least thrice as much magical power than it would to use the Magic Seal normally, so the user simply harnesses the Elemental Glyphs in order to conjure the basic Four Fundamental Elements; fire, water, earth, and air, plus others such as ice and lightning, utilizing them like normal elemental magics by allowing them to be released from the Magic Seals. The user, just like any other elemental magician, is capable of manifesting the elements from the Magic Seal in many forms, such as burning tornadoes, icicles, and rocky stalagmites, not just the 'wave of _ element' type, granting them virtually infinite options in the heat of battle.
- Explosion Glyph (
爆破球・魔法陣, Ekusupurōjon Gurifu lit. Destructive Blast Sphere Magic Seal): The Explosion Glyph is a powerful Elemental Glyph that enables Giselle to generate all sorts of explosions. When manifesting the Explosion Glyph, Giselle projects one of her Magic Seals outwards- in this case, she generates a light-red Magic Seal with orange and yellow features- the crest in the middle resembles a flame. While this is the Fire Glyph which would normally enable Giselle to generate varying amounts of flame from the Magic Seal in various intensities, by performing a secret trick, she is capable of taking its powers to the next level. Once the Fire Glyph has been manifested, Giselle focuses the heat emitted by the flames of the seal into the air, causing the two to intermingle, superheating the surrounding air wherever she directs the flames of the sigil; the heating of the air causes the particles to split due to reactions; thus causing a combustion with the atoms of hydrogen. This enables Giselle to create, shape and manipulate explosive spheres of varying intensities with a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases; explosions can be released from both a distance and up-close-and-personal- generally, the Explosion Glyph is capable of generating a powerful sphere which explodes upon contact with anything that is recognized as "solid", as a contrast to other Fire Glyph attacks, which simply produce flames in various formations. The compressed sphere of explosive energy generated by the glyph flies forward instantly in a flash, and upon impact with the foe, the sphere grinds into them with powerful force, before decompressing instantly into a medium-to-large explosion which can the target backward after they are hit, resulting in the forcible creation of a large, smouldering crater in the wake of the attack. The contact with the earth and spreads the flames contained in the glyph outwards in the form of a blazing dome of fire which expands outwards swiftly for several meters; the surging radius seems to hit a wall; as if the explosion is contained somehow in a giant glass sphere. The light rebounds inward, sharpening, rippling across itself as the wave appears to have reached a predetermined diameter and hovered there. The blast radius looks like a huge sphere of negative space fifteen hundred feet across, with neat slices taken out of surrounding buildings, pavement, cars, hillsides, et cetera; there appears to have been no actual heat, let alone shockwaves, emanating from the explosion at all - the only result is that a massive spherical section of the area appears to be missing. The explosive properties of the Explosion Glyph grants the attack the ability to inflict even more damage and unleash 'splash' damage, as opponents near the target will also be struck by the sheer volatility of the explosion; thus making the user even deadlier than ever before; Giselle is also capable of utilizing the Explosion Glyph as a 'sniping tool' of sorts, by bending the trajectory of the explosive spheres mentally; she can also activate the attack instantly or wait a few moments in order to induce it; this is often used to take the opponent by surprise in the heat (hehe) of battle. Giselle can imbue the explosive properties of the Explosion Glyph into various objects which activate whenever someone touches the imbued thing; not the object, by the way, but the person- and due to being capable of altering the properties of the explosion, this explosion projected by the Magic Seal can be rendered completely silent. At higher levels of usage, the Explosion Glyph possesses strength which is proportional to the target's heat signature, allowing the attack to more often than not vaporize weaker opponents in a flash unless certain precautions are taken.
- Explosion Glyph (
- Shift Glyph (
性化・魔法陣, Shifuto Gurifu lit. Property Changing Magic Seal): Shift Glyphs are different than the norm- while they're Magic Seals which are manifested through magical manipulation like the others, unlike the Elemental Glyphs, the Shift Glyphs have special properties which can be considered to be more akin to the 'tricky' magics such as Slowing Magic; indeed, the Shift Glyphs are formed through taking a note of existing phenomena and pulling eternano together and creating a single Magic Seal from many others, which is then laced with the user's element of choice, influenced into transforming into the Magic Seal of the user's desire via the immediate surroundings and the user's own thoughts; these Magic Seals are special as, like mentioned above (sorta)- they are capable of controlling the fundamental forces of nature to a rather limited extent- this includes gravity, time, and space, and probably a lot more, including illusions; all of these Magic Seals work exactly like their proper 'magic' counterparts. The most common usage of the Shift Glyphs is to perform time dilation on either the surroundings or an aspect of themselves; though the user can also induce a gravity shift to increase their jumping height. Generally, the user utilizes the Shift Glyphs to increase their own parameters, though it is not uncommon to see a user of this power to affect the fundamental forces of the enemy as well.
- Haste Glyph (
光速移動・魔法陣, Heisuto Gurifu lit. Light-Speed Movement Magic Seal): The Haste Glyph is a Shift Glyph which enables Giselle to drastically increase her speed to the point that she instantaneously transports herself to any location that she wishes. When manifesting the Haste Glyph, Giselle projects one of her Magic Seals outwards- in the case of the Haste Glyph, it is mainly white in texture- the crest in the middle resembles an arrow. Giselle can project the crest in any location that she desires- but commonly, it's manifested right under her feet. Through mental commands alone, Giselle is capable of boosting forwards at speeds beyond mortal comprehension by having the Magic Seal accelerate her in the direction that the arrow that serves as the center of the glyph points in, making it seem that the positions of Giselle and her targets have been reduced in a flash through her amazing movements with a quick, clean dash, enabling her to zip around at incredible speeds; waltzing around without any hindrances. Even if someone could detect the trajectory of her movements, it is considered to be nearly impossible to catch her. With her speed, Giselle is capable of assaulting her opponents with quick, but powerful, melee attacks. Giselle's speed with the Haste Glyph appears to create up to eight doubles of herself while in motion. These doubles are not illusory; she is moving at a speed between different positions that is faster than the speed of sound. As such, were all the doubles to attack at once, it would mean that Giselle is attacking from all those positions simultaneously, giving her incredible destructive power. Similarly, because of this same speed, attacking the doubles would be futile as Giselle would have moved long before the attack even reaches her. In any case, these doubles are capable of confusing enemies who are unable to follow her movements- while she does have control over her doubles, Giselle usually moves so quickly with the Haste Glyph that she creates afterimages inadvertently- while normally, these replicas follow her every movement, she is capable of directing them towards her enemies by controlling them with her magical energy; once this is done, they become tangible and are capable of actually damaging or defending against an enemy- a common tactic for Giselle is to use a double to fool her opponents into thinking they have killed her in one blow, only to appear unharmed somewhere else and land a decisive blow; utilizing the sheer speed of the Haste Glyph in order to flank an enemy's side and defeat them effortlessly. When affected by the Haste Glyph, Giselle also becomes fast enough to outrun her own Shining Onslaught, allowing her to strike and enhance them or launch simultaneous attacks at the opponent from various angles, and the Haste Glyph can be very efficient as it increases Giselle's moving pace to one high enough where simple melee attacks can have great power. However, the Haste Glyph has a weakness; when performing the technique, it is extremely difficult to see her destination, though not impossible—but it requires amazing reflexes and split-second reactions in order to use properly; making it a 'high risk, high reward' ability.
- Portal Glyph (
瞬間穴間・魔法陣, Pōtaru Gurifu lit. Teleportation Rift Magic Seal): The Portal Glyph is a Shift Glyph which enables Giselle to open up a portal from the Magic Seal and then enter it before exiting in any location that she wishes no matter the distance. When activating the Portal Glyph, Giselle projects one of her Magic Seals outwards- in the case of the Portal Glyph, it is mainly azure in texture- the crest in the middle resembles a door; it is a field that functions similarly to that of a translocation portal which enables Giselle to contact the fabric of space-time by stepping into it. From here onward, the translocation portal acts to a gateway to any other place that Giselle imagines wishing to end up, no matter the distance or location of her destination; she is capable of moving any or all parts of her body between the current location and her destination through this dimensional space. When approaching this portal, the Portal Glyph will release extremely high purified energy particle concentrations; and in that instant, Giselle and/or her target will have their body broken down into elementary particles as the particle concentrations of the Portal Glyph absorbs them- being directed according to Giselle's will as Giselle and/or her target will be instantaneously reassembled in said location, literally teleporting to effectively any location that she wants to go- when teleporting, the heat signature and magical power of Giselle and/or her target becomes incapable of being detected; she contacts the space-time continuum in the location that she wishes to appear in; after that, she is instantaneously reassembled in said location, literally teleporting. It is essentially a form of short-range spatial teleportation. Using this ability, Giselle is capable of traveling over long distances in an instant, even in the midst of battle. In dire situations when an enemy target is about to fatally hit Giselle, she is capable of instantly jumping away and flanking her enemy's position (usually several meters from behind or side). The Portal Glyph itself leaves a particle shadow of Giselle, fooling the enemy with the image of a false victorious blow. The maneuver often leaves the opponent confused and distracted long enough for Giselle to do serious damage and/or defeat her enemy targets. Giselle has a maximum range of thirty thousand kilometers and can teleport objects with a mass up to 4520 kg; using the Portal Glyph to constantly disappear and appear at will, hitting, running, and flanking without any effort at all and barely any threat of counterattack. She can also use the Portal Glyph with special seals which designate her transfer location; erecting an intricate and highly complex seal near instantaneously on any surface or being that she designates with a mere thought. These seals are able to affix themselves over most other seals, though this means that Giselle has a chance of being caught within enemy seals. Once this seal has been formed, then Giselle's magical power will immerse around her body, before condensing and instantaneously dissembling her entire person. At a speed beyond comprehension, Giselle assembles herself at any location she wishes, as long as it has been marked with one of the seals. When she reassembles herself, she appears to be emanating emerald magical energy. The moment that she re-appears, the seal which she utilized as a medium disappears, and Giselle cannot place another seal on the exact same location for a maximum of two minutes.
- Haste Glyph (
Boundary Breaker (
Boundary Breaker is an exceptionally powerful form of Caster Magic and a member of the Black Arts- indeed, it is said to have been around from the time of the Beginning of Magic and one of the Sixteen Cardinal Codes (十六基数記号, Jūroku Kisūkigō), which are, as the name would indicate, sixteen fundamental original magics from which every variation split; each Cardinal Code itself was supposedly split from The One Magic, meaning that they could possibly be a direct link to the "Beginning of Magic"; though, like Lost Magic, they are long forgotten, with only one in one million being aware of their existence, and even less than that being capable of utilizing the Cardinal Codes. Each Cardinal Code has corresponding positive and negative poles, and any magic which is derived from a Cardinal Code can be recreated using various combinations in a greater state than the derived magic if one has access to a Cardinal Code. Calamity is the origin of all barrier-type magics in existence, not limited to but including Defenser, Barrier Magic, Shield Magic, and possibly many more.
Despite being the predecessor of all defensive-oriented magics, Boundary Breaker does not solely revolve around the idea of "defense" per-se, but rather, Boundary Breaker is capable of being harnessed for all sorts of purposes, with almost countless results all stemming from two simple words—"manipulate boundaries". When activating Boundary Breaker, the caster of this magic gathers and condenses magical energies within their hands- specifically, the tips of their fingers, allowing their fingers to be harnessed as a union agent for the caster and the world itself. With ignited fingers, the caster is now capable of grasping "imperfections" in the world constructed, leftover from the beginning of the dimension forged by the creation of the universe- what seems to be the Big Bang. Attuning the energies in their hands to these imperfections while keeping them visible in their eyes, witnessing the "fault lines" of a sort, the caster makes a grasping motion, tugging at the imperfections in the world violently with powerful actions which result in the airspace around the user becoming cracked before shattering at the point of impact, enabling them to create, manipulate, destroy, and overall influence boundaries in the vicinity.
Now, here's where Boundary Breaker gets its power—the term boundary, which is a border between two things, is open to a vast amount of interpretation, and it is an extremely rare and powerful type of subcategory of magic known as a Semantic-Type (意味型, Imi-gata), meaning that it is a supernatural power that can be defined solely by the caster's interpretation of what it governs over, all depending on their wording rather than anything logical—because of this, Boundary Breaker can theoretically affect anything that constitutes a "boundary", allowing for a great deal of stretching of what it is capable of. In that manner, Boundary Breaker could be considered a power akin to that of Memory-Make or Arc of Embodiment, in all three heavily rely on the caster's imagination in order to bring out its full potential- while the former two are simply confined to using the power of creation to forge objects and attacks from the magician's thoughts to do battle, Boundary Breaker is only limited by the creativity of the caster, as mentioned before, anything that can be referred to as a "boundary" is placed under their command and domination; indeed, this simple concept can be applied to a near countless multitude of unconventional uses.
With dominion over the concept of boundaries "between any and all things", this makes the caster an incredibly fearsome opponent; while normally, this does indeed allow the user to generate and manipulate barriers of all shapes, sizes, and properties that can be extended to perform a variety of functions by interpreting Boundary Breaker as "a boundary to protect"; all of these barriers are of a higher "tier" than any other barrier-type spell or magic in general, there is a lot more to the whole thing- for example, by interpreting Boundary Breaker's power as "removing the boundary between the caster and their destination", the user is capable of generating portals between two places to enable them to teleport in the blink of an eye- an alternative method of high-speed movement would be to manipulate the boundaries in space and create a chasm, linking together two completely separate locations. It is said that a user of Boundary Breaker has full control over the worlds of the living and the dead, different environments, and even the day and the night, making it a "supreme power with very few equals"- it even has powers over metaphysical things such as day and night or life and death.
However, for the horrendously broken powers that Boundary Breaker displays, it has quite a few drawbacks to ever-so-slightly curb the strengths as to prevent it from being beyond the realm of the divine. For one, while summoning barriers and extending them as well as using the magic to open up portals for high-speed movement costs very little in regards to the magical energy output, performing actions with Boundary Breaker that go far beyond these and trespass into the label of "unreal" such as creating a portal to the moon by looking at its reflection in a lake and manipulating the boundary of distance between the reflection and the real deal – these outstanding actions drain a summarily large amount of both supernatural energy and stamina from the caster, leaving them out of breath immediately after performing such an incredible feat, also rendering them comatose for a decade soon after. Additionally, the greater the feats the user performs with this magic, Boundary Breaker burns straight through magical energy and begins to drain the user's life force, meaning that it can kill the caster if they are not careful. Not only this, while Boundary Breaker is known to be essentially limitless, there is one notable instance of what it cannot modify- that which is known as the "Boundary between Waves and Particles" (波と粒の境界, Hatoryū no Kyōkai), which, as anyone with knowledge in physics can confirm that changing this particular boundary to any degree at all would cause the universe to be erased. No matter how much one attempts to do so, they cannot modify this boundary in any way.
Soul Armours (神鎧 (ソウル・アーマー), Sōru Āmā lit. God Armour) are specialized armours worn by various powerful warriors known as Soul Armour Knights (神鎧纏最高戦士 (ソウル・アーマー・ナイト), Sōru Āmā Naito lit. God Armour Clad Supreme Warrior); they are human or humanoid warriors who transforms from a natural human form using a Driver Belt into a superhuman form clad in the armour. The Knights secretly patrol their respective territories to protect civilians from demons. Armed with special magical equipment, the knights carry an eternal war to maintain the light over the darkness in the realm. When transforming into the Phoenix Knight, Giselle slips the Driver On Ring upon her finger, and scans the ring over the True Phoenix Driver; causing the belt to expand around her waist like a deck of cards wrapping around. When this is done, Giselle throws her right arm at a diagonal to her right then rotates it clock-wise until it is a diagonal to her left, then she retracts it to her waist and thrusts out her left arm at a diagonal to her right. With this, the True Phoenix Driver releases five cards of pure magical power before her, blasting any opponents in close vicinity away as the woman's speed picks up- running through the series of cards, as she leaves the projections, everything about her changes completely. Giselle is now clothed in white robes which has golden linings; covering her upper body in a glowing mantle that drapes her shoulders. Her attire otherwise consists of a white trenchcoat, white baggy pants, as well as white, pointed, elf-esque boots. She wears black gloves, and her face is concealed by a draconic-looking orange mask, which is covered by a hood. With this, the Phoenix Knight rises; ready for battle.She becomes Soul Armour Knight Phenex (神鎧纏最高戦士 (ソウル・アーマー・ナイト) ・不死鳥の騎士 (フェニックス), Sōru Āmā Naito Fenikkusu lit. God Armour Clad Supreme Warrior Phoenix Knight). In demonology, Phenex is a Great Marquis of Hell with 20 legions of demons under his command. He teaches all wonderful sciences, is an excellent poet, and is very obedient to the conjuror. He is depicted as a phoenix which sings sweet notes with the voice of a child. Amusingly enough, Giselle is a scientist and as an example of hidden depths, she is known to be a good composer and singer. Ironically, she is extremely rebellious.
Soul Armour Knight Phenex
Soul Armour Knight Phenex (神鎧纏最高戦士 (ソウル・アーマー・ナイト) ・不死鳥の騎士 (フェニックス), Sōru Āmā Naito Fenikkusu lit. God Armour Clad Supreme Warrior Phoenix Knight): Soul Armour Knight Phenex, otherwise known as the Phoenix Knight (不死鳥の騎士, Fushichō no Kishi) is the name of Giselle's Soul Armour; it was the first New Generation Soul Armour to be forged. When under the guise of the Phoenix Knight, Giselle appeared as an enigmatic, white-robed magician that gave Tsuruko the means to utilize her magic. She also sometimes helped and oversaw Tsuruko's evolution from a distance until she discovered that Tsuruko was her daughter, causing her to reveal her true identity. Soul Armour Knight Phenex's armour takes the form of white robes which have golden linings; covering her upper body in a glowing mantle that drapes her shoulders. Her attire otherwise consists of a white trenchcoat, white baggy pants, as well as white, pointed, elf-esque boots. She wears black gloves, and her face is concealed by a draconic-looking orange mask, which is covered by a hood. Phenex's offensive power is far more superior than any other New Generation Soul Armour to ever exist, and even stronger than some Prototype Soul Armours. This armour's base running speed allows Giselle to perform blinding bursts of speed. Also, Giselle's defense is pushed to its peak, allowing her to withstand a lot of attacks thanks to the anti-magic armour that Phenex's armour possesses; however, Phenex's design focuses on mobility rather than armour strength as Giselle is rarely hit. As a result, the movement range of the joints is increased through the splitting of the armour and its sliding mechanism. To complement this, the armour also has anti-magic armour. When the anti-magic armour activates, the armour possesses beyond enhanced flexibility and through its glowing effect, is able to discharge overflowing residual energy within the body through the joints. This internal anti-magic armour also helps to withstand the high output and Gs caused by Giselle's light-speed movement, playing a role in increasing the armour mobility.
The head piece of the armour acts as a controlling device for eternano particles. The particle controlling capabilities of the antennae allow Giselle to communicate using brainwaves interfacing. The arms of Phenex allow Giselle to wield her close combat weapons to the fullest. The wrist joints are so flexible that they actually can move like a human arm, allowing eternano to be transferred to the weapons more smoothly and effectively than any other Soul Armour. The leggings enable Giselle to achieve high maneuverability in zero-G conditions. The knee joints of the armour are made to be as fluid in motion as a real human knee, with eternano condensed located in them; making it seem that Giselle has no limits. Phenex's armour is composed of microscopic psychic receptors that allow Giselle to control the armour, and thus her own body as if she were in a lucid dream—essentially rendering her limitless, bypassing her body's natural limits, pretty much leaving her imagination the only restraint to her actions. Giselle makes great use of this feature, controlling her powers and maneuvering her attacks like extensions of her own body. Phenex is so powerful that it could possibly have eliminated every single post-Daybreak threat to Earth Land single-handedly had Giselle chosen not to stop fighting properly after Daybreak S3.
Phenex: Survive Mode (フェニックス・サバイブ・モード, Fenikkusu: Sabaibu Mōdo): Survive Mode is the term pertaining to Soul Armours that have unlocked a much more powerful form. The Survive Mode is activated by scanning the Survive Rings (サバイブ・リング, Sabaibu Ringu) over the Driver Belts, causing the Soul Armours to undergo a specific evolution exclusive to themselves, more often than not resulting in a sleeker form. The Survive Rings were developed to the blueprint stage but never constructed, as it were considered too powerful for any user; and later on, Giselle Mercury managed to stabilize them with help from her father, who added his own exalted magical power into the rings; however, she kept the final Survive Ring, the Survive Almighty Ring (サバイブ・全能・リング, Sabaibu Zennō Ringu); essentially, it is the combination of both properties of the Survive Rings into one almighty form. The Survive Modes offer drastically enhanced parameters, which are actually the user's powers boosted to their absolute limits. While Phenex is stated to have a Survive Mode, it is never actually shown, as Giselle normally doesn't need it in the heat of battle.
Tsuruko and Giselle, despite being mother and daughter, have a rather fractured relationship for most of Daybreak. When Tsuruko was born while Alphonse was still alive and the family weren't separated, Giselle would often take a young Tsuruko stargazing; even now, Tsuruko remembers being held by her mother and watching stars together; since then, she always made sure to count stars on the night sky. This was one of the things that plagued her after being adopted and coming to believe that Ashley Briett was her mother, as Tsuruko remembered those times from before, though she could never determine the voice and appearance of her mother for a long time. When they first met, Giselle paid the Rune Knights to let Tsuruko go after Tsuruko was imprisoned, before charging her to help her find Hikari Zanna, her other child. While Tsuruko's opinion of Giselle was simply 'a bit kooky', she actually harboured a jealous sentiment towards her in the beginning due to her intelligence and her condescending nature. On Giselle's side, even though Giselle is annoyed by Tsuruko when they first met, she softens up with time even before the big reveal.
On the other hand, when it came to Giselle's alter ego, the Phoenix Knight, Tsuruko was her biggest fan before she knew that Phoenix Knight and Giselle were one and the same. Even before she met Phoenix Knight face-to-face, Tsuruko grew up watching the licensed television show about the Soul Armour Knight and owned various memorabilia of her hero; Phoenix Knight inspired Tsuruko in her dream to become a superhero. When Tsuruko was trapped during the Eclipse Ritual and attacked by one of the newly-born Hellions, she was saved by the mysterious Phoenix Knight- though Giselle didn't know of their relation at first. Giselle, at Phoenix Knight, would come to Tsuruko's aid numerous times, when Alexis nearly defeated her and kidnapped Hikari, and once more after Kirika threatened to kill a defeated Tsuruko.
When Tsuruko finds out that Giselle and Phoenix Knight are one and the same, and more importantly, Giselle is her birth mother, Tsuruko becomes enraged and denies their connection- this revelation seems to be the breaking point for Tsuruko's psyche as she becomes depressed and generally apathetic, though Gary's departure and outing herself as a robot didn't help in quick succession right before learning of her parentage didn't do any wonders. Even after recovering from her slump, Tsuruko remains fairly rude to Giselle, refusing to talk to her and getting other people to relay messages to her. Giselle, on her end, actually has no real clue on how to deal with children, and generally remains rather snarky and bitter when talking with Tsuruko, although it's easily noticeable that Giselle is still nicer to her daughter than she is anyone else; as she never swears around her or strikes her.
One thing that never changed is that Tsuruko means the world to Giselle, no matter how angry they get at each other, her daughter is one of three people she still cares about, the others being Hikari, her other 'child', and Zanma, her old war buddy; and while threatening any three of these people can and will set her off, Giselle gets angrier than usual if anyone tries to harm or otherwise fool around with Tsuruko; in fact, whenever Tsuruko's life is in danger, Giselle tends to perform many of her more morally ambiguous actions, such as digging up an ancient weapon of mass destruction and putting Tsuruko's soul into it in order to prevent her from dying from an incurable disease. Other examples come from Giselle killing numerous Wizard Saints when they chase their family down, and completely draining the magic from Edolas' normal population through a Dimensional Siphon in order to power the device that would allow Giselle to remove Tsuruko's soul from her sickly body and put it in the Deus Machina frame without any further damage.
During the final chapters of Daybreak S1, Tsuruko's opinion of her mother begins to turn around as Giselle denies herself landing a finishing blow on Elucifer's Thought Projection, the Libra Hellion, when the latter had finally obtained the Philosopher's Stone and was about to turn Earth Land into the Nega End, instead opting to run to her daughter and shield her from the majority of the nuclear fallout. When waiting for Tsuruko to awaken, she sets up an organization that fights Amadam's Empire while she personally searches for her daughter, even enlisting Gary Straights, who she previously attacked for going near Tsuruko, without any further complaint. Soon after, Giselle and Tsuruko finally make up as Gary and Kaguya lock them in a room together, forcing them to talk out their differences and hear each others' sides of the story of what happened when they were separated; at which point, Tsuruko accepts her relation with Giselle.
Even though Tsuruko and Excellen leave for Aether at the end of Daybreak S2, Giselle doesn't hold it against her as she would have before, instead cheerily (for her demeanour) greeting her once more in the Ragnarok arc of Dawn, where Tsuruko and several of the other Daybreak characters teamed up while Akatsuki was fighting Kagemusha to fight Chakravartin and put an end to the war. After all was said and done, Giselle, Kaguya, and Hikari returned with Tsuruko to Aether to get away from all the fighting; Giselle once more decided to attempt to try and become the mother both Tsuruko and Hikari never had in their lives.
- Giselle's theme is Vestige , by T.M Revolution.
- Giselle is similar to Masato Nagareboshi from Rising Phoenix, the author's previous series, as she is a more powerful version of the main protagonist as the Phoenix Knight, while also sharing a familial tie with the protagonist. Another similarity to Masato is that both have a monster form as an alternate to a human and armour form.
- Giselle's stats are:
|Tsuruko Sejren | Giselle Mercury | Gary Straights | Deen Lhant | Excellen Kilekion | Kaguya Kobayashi|
|Joker | Kirika Hotsuin | Alexis Tenjouin | Suzuka Kobayashi | Leanne Rockwell | Charlotte Merquise | Culebre | Abyssion | Chakravartin | Amadam | Níðhöggr | Camilla Straights | Klaus | Signa|
|Sion Kenzaki | Jonas | Marisa Sejren | Kinos Sejren | Alicia Lhant | Velvet Ashdoll|
|Alphonse Sejren | Aigrette Tenjouin | Dzerve Sejren | Hikari Zanna | Mr. E | Ashley Briett|
|Tsuruko Faction | Zodiac Knights | Magic Council | Paranormal Investigation Unit | Allies of Justice | Four Heavenly Kings | Ten Wizard Saints | Amadam's Empire | Preventers|
|Soul Armours | Magius | Hellion | Reionyx | Different Dimensions | Aether | Old World | Zero Effect | Ardor | Deus Machina | Dimension King Style|